Hey ATOT wine folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
So here's my situation, I don't drink wine all that often. In fact, I almost never do unless I have friends coming over for a dinner party or something. I've always just gone out the day of, and grabbed a quick bottle of something at the grocery store, and that was that.

However, I've decided what I'd like to do instead is just keep a few decent bottles on hand. When I say "decent" we're talking 12-15 dollar bottles, so maybe even that's a stretch, but it's not 2 Buck Chuck either. That way for an impromptu get together or whatever, wine's just available.

Because dinner parties here can be unpredictable, let's say I need to store a couple of bottles anywhere from 1 month to 1 year at most. Now because I am NOT a wine guy I don't want to go spending even 100 bucks on a wine fridge to store it. I know very little about storing wine other than to keep it on its side. Short of purpose-built rooms, there's apparently two options, both of which have problems for me.

Option A) Keep it in the regular fridge. Apparently this is bad because it's not humid enough, it's too cold, and the opening and closing of the door and the compressor running wll vibrate the wine enough to ruin it (Incidentally, how the hell does vibrating a wine wreck it? Are there any scientific explanations for this?)

Option B) Keep it in a closet/cabinet. This what I'm currently doing, but apparently storing wine at temperatures above like 70 degrees will wreck it quickly, turning it into Sherry. I live in Tucson and the temperature fluctuates pretty wildly outside, and therefore inside my house. During the day I leave the a/c off so the temperature inside the house (and therefore the closet or whatever) gets up to about 85 degrees F.

So my questions are

#1. For lower-middling quality wine like this, am I overthinking things? Can I just throw it somewhere and assume it'll still be fairly drinkable up to a year later pretty much no matter what?

#2. Any options I've missed?

These are all 05/06 vintage wines I'm talking about here so I'm assuming that if stored "properly" the year or so I'd like them to stick around for isn't out of the question. Also the types I'd like to keep on hand are Shiraz and Sauvignon Blanc, if that matters. Thanks!

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
if you dont have any decent way to store it, id just keep buying it the day of, or up to a week or whatever before you need it.

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
I don't drink a lot of wine either and didn't know that regular fridges were not ideal. Wouldn't a dedicated wine fridge have the same vibration issues as a regular one?

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Do you have a basement? Keep the wine there. Not every wine is suitable for storing for years and years, but I think that most will at least make it one year. Basically, it has to do with how well they're sealed, because the cork on some still lets air in.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Store it on its side so that the cork (if it has cork) doesn't rot/dry out.

I dunno about arizona though, that adds in the dry-air factor.

For most wines, I store them in my fridge if I am to consume them within 3 weeks. I take them out 1 hr in advanced and let it warm to serving temperature (~50-60 deg. F)

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
You're overthinking this a bit. Storing a $15 '06 Shiraz for a year isn't going to require much specialized setup. Keep it on its side (cork stays wet) in a dark cool place. Heat is your biggest risk. If you can't keep it under 70 degrees pick up a cheap mini fridge, set it so that it isn't too chilly (55 would be good) and store the wine in there.

If you were talking about $80 Bordeaux for 10 years it would be different, but a year isn't very long.

Your whites will be a bit more sensitive than your reds. They don't tend to last as long anyway, so you may see quality change after a year no matter what where you won't with a Shiraz.

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
I am in a similar boat as you, and I store mine in the closet for the reds, and in the fridge for the whites. Generally speaking, I keep a couple of each on hand, and if a situation doesn't come in 3 months, I make one and drink it anyway, it works out well for me, since the hot months here start about July (so I would have just drank the "stale" bottle, and only have a month or two of hotness to contend with on the new bottle for that quarter.

My wines are generally $8 (a really good wine that I like is a merlot at Trader Joe's and Ralphs with the label of Papio) to $20-ish (santa Margarite's Pino Grigio, great bottle for a date)

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Thanks guys! I'll make sure to kick the white before a terribly long period of time has gone by. I suppose in a worst-case scenario I could always just kill it myself come 4 or 5 months :)

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
Thanks guys! I'll make sure to kick the white before a terribly long period of time has gone by. I suppose in a worst-case scenario I could always just kill it myself come 4 or 5 months :)

It's not a panic. I'll drink whites I've had on my shelf for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.