"He's scaring seniors with talk about Medicare, just like Democrats have always done."- Howard Dean

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
:music: Where oh where have the conservative republicans gone? Oh where oh where have they gone? :music:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
:music: Where oh where have the conservative republicans gone? Oh where oh where have they gone? :music:

I'm right here.:D

Now back to the question...anyone have a clue who it's from?

I know he's a Democrat, but I never thought I'd see the day when one would admit that Democrats used scare tactics with seniors.
Oh, and BTW, I believe this "Democrat" was talking about a different "Democrat"

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I know you haven't left the bldg, Cad, however where are the conservative republicans in Congress? Why would they forsake such basic conservative tenets and push through such a massive entitlement? $400B over 10 years?! My god, it's full of pork. Someone keep the pills away from Rush's mouth. ;):p

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
I know you haven't left the bldg, Cad, however where are the conservative republicans in Congress? Why would they forsake such basic conservative tenets and push through such a massive entitlement? $400B over 10 years?! My god, it's full of pork. Someone keep the pills away from Rush's mouth. ;):p

Why are you bent on diverting this? There is NOTHING about Republicans in the quote or even being hinted about in my OP. There are plenty of threads specifically about the drug bill - this isn't one of them.

BTW - the quote's context wasn't specifically about the drug bill.

CkG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: SViscusi
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Oh and the title is a direct quote, but I'm looking for who said it.;)

CkG
Howard Dean about Richard Gephart

On Pbs

:beer::D

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner:D

Dean on Gephardt...from the PBS link
<snip>
HOWARD DEAN: He's scaring seniors with talk about Medicare, just like Democrats have always done.

MARGARET WARNER: He says you said it was the worst federal program ever.

HOWARD DEAN: I did. Because it was the worst administered federal program ever doesn't mean I want to get rid of Medicare. You would never get rid of Medicare in your right mind if you're a physician. But it's a badly run program and it needs to be fixed.

MARGARET WARNER: What about the things that he's saying about you, that you have changed your position?

HOWARD DEAN: Of course I've changed my position. You'd have to be an idiot not to change your position based on facts. I was a supporter of NAFTA and a supporter of WTO. But the evidence is they haven't helped working people in America. They haven't created more jobs.
</snip>

CkG

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Wha...Wha...wha...what!? You mean someone finally admitted this?:Q

CkG
Yawn. People in the same party disagree about something. Oh my God, the sky is falling. Thank God you're not one of those partisan hacks you keep whining about, or you might try to use this quote as part of some lame political game.

When you're done with this little diversion, how about chasing down a little quote about "voodoo economics"? Maybe we could start pulling up some of McCain's quotes about Bush-lite.

While I'll grant you it's not as common these days, even Republicans are sometimes allowed to think for themselves. A pity so many have forgotten how.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

CkG
Yawn. People in the same party disagree about something. Oh my God, the sky is falling. Thank God you're not one of those partisan hacks you keep whining about, or you might try to use this quote as part of some lame political game.

When you're done with this little diversion, how about chasing down a little quote about "voodoo economics"? Maybe we could start pulling up some of McCain's quotes about Bush-lite.

While I'll grant you it's not as common these days, even Republicans are sometimes allowed to think for themselves. A pity so many have forgotten how.

Hey - I didn't say it - Dean said it.:) Remember all those years that Republicans were tagged with the "he's going to destroy SS, Medicare, etc" label? Well, I'm glad someone finally admitted that it really was fear-mongering. Kudos to Dean for calling them on their own tactic.:)

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

CkG

Ever since the Repubs pushed this medicare prescription drug benefit thru, the worst Cad has said about the Repubs is essentially "I don't agree with it." Meanwhile, he takes every opportunity to jab the democrats and score some points at their expense. That's fine Cad, I don't really care considering the Dems are huge hypocrites for bitching about the repubs pandering to AARP, but your true colors are showing. You partisan hack. ;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

Ever since the Repubs pushed this medicare prescription drug benefit thru, the worst Cad has said about the Repubs is essentially "I don't agree with it." Meanwhile, he takes every opportunity to jab the democrats and score some points at their expense. That's fine Cad, I don't really care considering the Dems are huge hypocrites for bitching about the repubs pandering to AARP, but your true colors are showing. You partisan hack. ;)

You want copies of the letters I sent to those who "represent" me about this Drug bill? I'm pretty sure they were all harsh no matter what their party was;) Yeah, partisan hack alright:p

So I enjoy the politics of the situation...boo fricken hoo...it doesn't mean I'm not pissed about the issue.

Now back to the Dean/Gephardt issue.

CkG

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

CkG

Hey - I didn't say it - Dean said it.:) Remember all those years that Republicans were tagged with the "he's going to destroy SS, Medicare, etc" label? Well, I'm glad someone finally admitted that it really was fear-mongering. Kudos to Dean for calling them on their own tactic.:)

CkG

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
My fault for not reading all thie links first. :)

And for Bowfinger:

Cad, I love how you prove again and again how scared you and the other conservatives here are of Dean. How many threads have you opened devoted solely to trash him?

:)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
From PBS

MARGARET WARNER: Not surprisingly, in a state where three-fourths of past caucus-goers have been over 50 or union members, Dean gets questions about all this.

HOWARD DEAN: One of the things you find when you're in the lead, you often find yourself taking buckshot of out your rear end. ( Laughter ) Do not believe all these things politicians are telling you: "He's going to cut this. He's against Medicare." Well, God knows what else they said. It's not true.

MARGARET WARNER: Privately, he expresses frustration at Gephardt's attack.

HOWARD DEAN: He's scaring seniors with talk about Medicare, just like Democrats have always done.

MARGARET WARNER: He says you said it was the worst federal program ever.

HOWARD DEAN: I did. Because it was the worst administered federal program ever doesn't mean I want to get rid of Medicare. You would never get rid of Medicare in your right mind if you're a physician. But it's a badly run program and it needs to be fixed.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: busmaster11

And for Bowfinger:

Cad, I love how you prove again and again how scared you and the other conservatives here are of Dean. How many threads have you opened devoted solely to trash him?

Few, and actually I've spread them around. Infact, I've actually posted threads in support of Dean(well, OK this is my second;))

Oh, and for your comment about being "scared" of Dean - not hardly:p I welcome him as the nominee, as I think alot of Republicans do. I think Bush would have a harder time against someone like Kerry or Clark than he would with Dean.

CkG

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000

And for Bowfinger:

Few, and actually I've spread them around. Infact, I've actually posted threads in support of Dean(well, OK this is my second;))

Oh, and for your comment about being "scared" of Dean - not hardly:p I welcome him as the nominee, as I think alot of Republicans do. I think Bush would have a harder time against someone like Kerry or Clark than he would with Dean.

CkG

13 in the last 30 days originated by you, Cad. I haven't gone through all of them so I don't know how many are expressly for mudslinging purps only. :)

Being a Dean supporter, I definitely think that if there's one Democratic candidate that can end up biting you on the a@@, its Dean... And its because the conservatives aren't taking him seriously. I don't mind. Let's keep it that way.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

And for Bowfinger:

CkG

13 in the last 30 days originated by you, Cad. I haven't gone through all of them so I don't know how many are expressly for mudslinging purps only. :)

Being a Dean supporter, I definitely think that if there's one Democratic candidate that can end up biting you on the a@@, its Dean... And its because the conservatives aren't taking him seriously. I don't mind. Let's keep it that way.

Against Dean? Hardly, and like I said - there are atleast 2 threads that I've posted recently that somewhat "support" Dean.
And I'm not sure people want to get into a counting debate about theads supposedly aimed at certain people;) There are plenty of anti-Bush threads, no?

It's funny - Deanites claim we don't take him seriously but then in a different breath say that he must be real threat since we are taking swipes at him...so which is it? I'll consider him a "threat" once(if) he gets the Dem nomination, until then he's just another candidate and I'll post things about any or all of them.

Now again, back to the subject about admitting that Democrats use fear-mongering tactics with seniors and Medicare and Dean admitting it.

CkG

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
I don't know why people think Republicans are scared of Dean. He is unelectable. If Dean gets the nomination all the Republicans will have to do is run the sound bite with Dean saying he's going to raise taxes. Game over.

Or has he changed his mind about that too?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Against Dean? Hardly, and like I said - there are atleast 2 threads that I've posted recently that somewhat "support" Dean. And I'm not sure people want to get into a counting debate about theads supposedly aimed at certain people;) There are plenty of anti-Bush threads, no?

None posted by you. :p

Now again, back to the subject about admitting that Democrats use fear-mongering tactics with seniors and Medicare and Dean admitting it.

CkG

I agree with your statement, however does Dean speak for the entire democratic party?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I agree with your statement, however does Dean speak for the entire democratic party?

Is he not correct?

CkG

Sure. Unfortunately, FUD is used to sell all kinds of things in this country.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
And I'm not sure people want to get into a counting debate about theads supposedly aimed at certain people;) There are plenty of anti-Bush threads, no?

Not when he was just a candidate for the repub nomination, I don't think...

It's funny - Deanites claim we don't take him seriously but then in a different breath say that he must be real threat since we are taking swipes at him...so which is it? I'll consider him a "threat" once(if) he gets the Dem nomination, until then he's just another candidate and I'll post things about any or all of them.

The more astute ones are starting to realize him as a possible threat. :D