Heroes of Newerth $10 this weekend

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/

Plus you can get double coins on purchases. Not sure what the coins are for. In-game purchases maybe?

This is a good time to jump in the game if you haven't already.

Beware the level of crankiness in the game, though.

Almost every single game starts out with at least one person being hostile and pissed off. If it doesn't start immediately, it will start after the first time someone gets killed or someone doesn't doesn't buy a chicken or wards, meet at the rune or doesn't do a creep pull or even just makes some other random mistake.

So be prepared, you just gotta shake off the trolls and you will find some enjoyable games. It is best just to ignore them and not even talk to them.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Hrm, isn't it normally like $30? Not a bad price, but I think LoL will hold my interest for a while.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
This is a good time to jump in the game if you haven't already.

Beware the level of crankiness in the game, though.

Almost every single game starts out with at least one person being hostile and pissed off. If it doesn't start immediately, it will start after the first time someone gets killed or someone doesn't doesn't buy a chicken or wards, meet at the rune or doesn't do a creep pull or even just makes some other random mistake.

So be prepared, you just gotta shake off the trolls and you will find some enjoyable games. It is best just to ignore them and not even talk to them.

Sounds terrible D:

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Wtf, I bought this when it was first available (gold shield) $30 and I log in and no bonus perks.

The0ne

Jan 3, 2006
I don't think it's because people want to be rude or upset. One of my nephews love playing the game and he's the calmest person you'll ever meet. But the stupidity of the players, the immaturity (kids playing maybe) just gets to him and he ends up getting "a bit" upset.

Good game but not sure if I would pay to play. League of Legends should be ok for the same type of gameplay and the rest of my nephews are on that one :D It's free.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I hate to ask this but how different is it from LoL? I've put in about a years worth of play on LoL now and I'm not particularly good though I don't do stupid things like pushing w/o a ward in the river and I have the basics of last hitting/jungling/skills/builds. It's teamfighting rather than 1v1 fights that I have trouble judging and getting to the enemy carry rather than tanks where I tend to fail and I expect the outcry that could cause might be horrific and not worth my $10 ...

Weenoman

Dec 5, 2010
Great game, I've definitely gotten my $30 out of it. Make sure you keep your mouse close to the ignore button, there are plenty of jerks. The learning curve can be a little steep too, but if you listen to the nicer people in your games they'll let you know when you're doing something dumb.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
When I last played it was a lot less forgiving then LoL. I played HoN since beta and stopped about a year ago and switched to LoL. I believe they made changes to (or added a game mode) that pretty much copies LoL dynamics.

The0ne

Jan 3, 2006
I hate to ask this but how different is it from LoL? I've put in about a years worth of play on LoL now and I'm not particularly good though I don't do stupid things like pushing w/o a ward in the river and I have the basics of last hitting/jungling/skills/builds. It's teamfighting rather than 1v1 fights that I have trouble judging and getting to the enemy carry rather than tanks where I tend to fail and I expect the outcry that could cause might be horrific and not worth my $10 ...

There are more heroes so there's more strategy involved. The gameplay is basically the same. All the BS is really because people don't teamwork and people will complain because by the first 3min you know you've lost already.

drewstylz

May 19, 2004
What kind of game is this that breeds such a community?

the kind where you don't want to play an intense 40 minute game to lose. 4 highly skilled players with 1 nub can easily lose the game to 5 average players with average teamwork. that's usually where the conflict begins.

after playing dota for many years, i wouldn't promote playing any standalone spawns. but if you're interested in playing this type of game, i would suggest picking up the game where any of your friends are playing (HoN, LoL, DotA). otherwise, i wouldn't suggest picking the game up. if anything, wait for dota2

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
I tried playing this in Beta. Gave it up when I kept joining games advertising for newbs and then got voted to kick because I was a newb.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I picked it up last night. I played DotA quite a bit for several years and I played some HoN when it was in beta. I'm not really good (especially with melee heroes), but I have fun. I'll just have to ignore the haters. I ran through the tutorial last night and I actually learned some shortcuts that I didn't know about.

Weenoman

Dec 5, 2010
it's really a game where you have to get over a learning curve before you really get to reap the rewards.

LoL is much easier to pick up, but the skill ceiling on that game is much lower than HoN. That said, no one really get's close to those skill ceilings anyway, unless your playing on a competitive clan.

HoN has held my attention longer than LoL, I feel like in HoN the action is more volatile and just a couple smart moves can turn around a game. LoL feels like when the snowball starts rolling it just doesn't ever seem to stop. It's that first time you're defending your base from a monster team who's outleveled you, and a tempest ultimate turns the game on it's head. More of those "OOOHH" moments make HoN better for me.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I hate the sound of the rude players, and this is a game I'm more curious to try than expect to play much at all, but I'm interested in that.

So, I see there's a 'refer a friend' program; does it apply to this $10 promotion, and anyone want to get the referral from me? May as well help some one when I sign up.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
I never liked LoL. HoN keeps my interest more. I haven't met many rude players, usually it's people just upset or frustrated.