Heroes of Monkey Tavern

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
So I just finished Heroes of Monkey Tavern, an indie dungeon crawler. I encountered no bugs and got a constant locked 60FPS with maxed details @ 4K. The graphics look quite nice:

Heroes.jpg

Think of it as a “Grimrock lite”, simplified and streamlined so you don’t need walkthroughs to solve it. The puzzles and maps are straightforward, there’s no hunger or light management, and you can rest without penalty.

The characters’ abilities also auto-level so you’ll never experience optimal build paralysis. I had a sub-optimal party and still enjoyed the game on easy difficulty, though I did get close to getting wiped out in a few boss encounters.

If you liked Legend of Grimrock then be sure to pick it up. I’m giving it a shout-out because it’s not well-known and it’s made by just one guy, and he seems really polite in his Steam postings. Encourage good indie developers with your wallet to continue their work.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Looks like Stonekeep in a higher res. I'm not seeing the need for 4k tho.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
"i'll save you for later" - Homer J. Simpson
i was very big on Might & Magic games back in 1997-2001 (6-7-8), and there never was a good first person party based RPG since.
Grimrock frustrated the hell out of me. i rage quit at floor 10.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Grimrock frustrated the hell out of me. i rage quit at floor 10.

I also really wanted to like Grimrock as I loved the M&M games, but I am the type of person that won't lookup answers on the internet. I always feel if I have to look up the answer then what is the point? And Grimrock is basically designed to be solved via crowedsourcing. I might give Heroes of Monkey Tavern a look.