Hero mum heartbroken after child drowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Hero mum heartbroken after child drowns

A pregnant mother threw herself into a farm pond to pull her drowning children to safety, but her desperate attempts to save her daughter were to no avail.

"Happy-go-lucky" Summer Frank, 3, and little brother Brodie, 2, wandered from their Taranaki home while their mother Kelly was in the bathroom dealing with morning sickness. Minutes later, she found them floating in an unfenced oxidation pond.

The children's grandmother, Ellen Frank, said she had asked the farm owner to fence the pond near Kapuni several months ago. There is no legal requirement to restrict access to such ponds, but Ellen Frank said she had pleaded for the children's protection.

Yesterday, she said, the children's devastated father was calling on farmers to fence their ponds to prevent the loss of more young lives.

"My God, they are so deep," Ellen Frank said. "The farmer said, 'you have to train your kids not to go near it - say it's icky-poos'. I'm sure they must be feeling terrible now. I feel so angry but they have to live with it."

Advertisement
Advertisement

Summer's drowning is the 13th since Christmas, contributing to a tragic holiday season on New Zealand's sea, rivers and lakes.

Federated Farmers said most farm properties were reasonably well-fenced, but parents needed to be aware of the dangers. The organisation's next Taranaki executive meeting will discuss how to raise awareness of water dangers on farms.

Kelly Frank and her husband Aaron are sharemilkers who, since June, have been living with their children in a house on the farm near Hawera.

The children were playing on their toy bikes outside the house, while Kelly kept an eye on them. But it took only a couple of minutes for them to toddle nearly 200m to the pond.

Ellen Frank asked: "How can you keep two active kids confined when there is no fence? It was a full-on job for her, constantly watching them, saying, 'don't wander off, don't go any further'. But of course, kids are going to try."

Kelly attempted CPR while calling emergency services, but Summer died at the scene.

Farm owners Francis and Jenny Mullan were deeply shocked and have sent flowers to the Franks. Jenny Mullan, who is ill with cancer, said they were having difficulty handling the tragedy, but were trying to cope.

"You've just got to let the family grieve," Francis Mullan said.

The Franks brought their daughter's body home on Friday. Her funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon.

"She was beautiful and bubbly, very loving and kind," her grandmother said.

"She loved the beach - she would run her heart out. I'd pick her up and her little heart would be pumping. She was happy-go-lucky - she would always wake up with the biggest smile on her face."

Brodie seemed unharmed, but was upset and slept with his mum and dad on Friday night. "He had a rough night," Ellen Frank said. "We don't know how much he remembers."

A Labour Department inspector has visited, but said that because the family lived on the site, it was a police matter and not an occupational safety and health issue.

"There are no rules relating to the fencing of ponds or other water courses," a department spokesman said. "On farms there are many hazards and I guess those people who live on farms are aware of these hazards and do their best to make sure their children are safe."

Federated Farmers president Peter Adamski said it was nigh-on impossible to fence all farm ponds.

"The cost is prohibitive," he said.

"It's just part of the rural environment - there is water everywhere. Water troughs, ponds, and kids just go for it.

"You have to give them their boundaries and keep an eye on them."

Water Safety New Zealand General Manager Matt Claridge said the number of drownings so far this year was "deeply concerning".

I'm not sure if you can call the mom a hero or not, because most parents including bystanders would jump in the "oxidation pond" (cess pond) to save little children.

I'm not aware that fences is a requirement in any country for these parents to ask neighboring farmer to enclose their waste pond. However, as common sense family with young children should know better to have fences to keep their kids safe.

It is sad that a child is lost, but it is even sadder is that the irresponsible parents are laying blames on their neighbors.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
How is she a hero? And it doesn't mention if they offered to pay for the fence.. it appears not. It isn't the farmer's fault and there should be no new laws for this, you can't child proof everything.

AreaCode7O7

Mar 6, 2005
Originally posted by: NoShangriLa

It is sad that a child is lost, but it is even sadder is that the irresponsible parents are laying blames on their neighbors.

Yeah, irresponsible mom who left her kids playing outside for five minutes while she threw up. Terrible parenting.

You've clearly never had or taken care of young kids - you can't literally have your eyes on them 24 hours a day. Sounds like her request was reasonable and if the pond owner had intended to make a reasonable attempt to fence or had been planning to or had been willing to do so at the parents' expense then this would have been less at their fault.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Are you freaking kidding me? You posted that horrific story to pick on the parents?

My read of this says that the parents are pushing people to put up fences around similar ponds to prevent future accidents, but saying the parents are blaming their neighbor is ignorant, as is blaming the mother.

Accidents, tragic or not, happen.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NeoV
Are you freaking kidding me? You posted that horrific story to pick on the parents?

My read of this says that the parents are pushing people to put up fences around similar ponds to prevent future accidents, but saying the parents are blaming their neighbor is ignorant, as is blaming the mother.

My take on the matter, too. :thumbsup:

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: NeoV

I understand that accident does happens, and it is the parent reposiblity to keep their children safe, that include fences (similar to having cribs, soft edge for table corners, gates for stairs, etc..). However, the parents are trying to push the reponsiblity on the surrounding farmers to fence their ponds instead of having fences surrounding their house to protect their children. Are they going to call for fencing off all street/roads way if the kids get run over by a car?

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: AreaCode707
Originally posted by: NoShangriLa

Yeah, irresponsible mom who left her kids playing outside for five minutes while she threw up. Terrible parenting.

You've clearly never had or taken care of young kids - you can't literally have your eyes on them 24 hours a day. Sounds like her request was reasonable and if the pond owner had intended to make a reasonable attempt to fence or had been planning to or had been willing to do so at the parents' expense then this would have been less at their fault.
I don't have any kids of my own but I have taken care of my nieces & nephews for many years and some started as little as 1 year old.

They now all are in their teens, and are back living with their parents but they & I still are very close. I sees the kids every weekend, I'm the one that they look up to, and I'm the one that they talk to if they have problems.

In another word, you can say that I'm a parent that worked hard to raised my children.

Status
Not open for further replies.