Here's one for you...

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Why is it that some Asian folks walk around with handkerchiefs or other little things over their mouth & nose? Is it just a germ thing?

I recently saw this back in October when we were vacationing in Banff, Alberta but I just saw a few people at lunch doing this and it reminded me that I wanted to ask why. I tried to google it or find something on wikipedia to answer my question but I came up short, so I must resort to the ATOT thinktank.

*flamesuit on*

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Why is it that some Asian folks walk around with handkerchiefs or other little things over their mouth & nose? Is it just a germ thing?

I recently saw this back in October when we were vacationing in Banff, Alberta but I just saw a few people at lunch doing this and it reminded me that I wanted to ask why. I tried to google it or find something on wikipedia to answer my question but I came up short, so I must resort to the ATOT thinktank.

*flamesuit on*

SARS?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Pretty sure it's a germ thing. I remember seeing people wearing those painter-mask type of things when we lived in Japan.

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
You should thank them they are keeping their filthy germs to themselves...

But yea became really prevalent in Asia when SARS came about. Also generally used in Asia to supposeduly prevent inhalation of the air poulltion, but its effectiveness is dubious as the masks they use are surgical/work masks and only block large air particulates.

jonessoda

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2005
Serious answer: Cold masks. In many Asian countries, it's considered a courtesy to others to wear them to avoid spreading your germs.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
On a recent flight I took a young man (white) wore one of those masks while on the plane. It turns out that he had a really bad cold and didn't want to spread it through the nasty, recycled plane air.

R

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: rgwalt
On a recent flight I took a young man (white) wore one of those masks while on the plane. It turns out that he had a really bad cold and didn't want to spread it through the nasty, recycled plane air.

R
Reposts don't exist anymore due to lack of an operable search function.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000

R

I sign all of my messages with my inital R. Sorry for the confusion.

R

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004

R

R
:laugh: my bad!

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000

R

R
:laugh: my bad!

No prob!

R

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Howard
Banditos!

Just how far down do you want to go
We can talk it out over a cup of joe
And you can look deep in my eyes
Like I was a super-model

Uh huh

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

*flamesuit on*

SARS?

That must be it.