Here's how much video game graphics have improved over 30 years

Tarvaln

Apr 28, 2004
That's a cool video. Though, it is not a good representation on game play graphics over the last 30 years. There were a good bit or pre-rendered intro and credit clips in that video.

It would be cool to see game play footage over the past 30 years.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I remember the first time seeing Doom in I 1993-94. I thought it was amazing. Now it looks silly :D

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I remember the first time seeing Doom in I 1993-94. I thought it was amazing. Now it looks silly :D

Yeah I remember thinking how intense and realistic it was. Then I replayed it and all I could think was how pixelated the sprites were and simple the environment looked.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Yeah games like Doom blow my mind nowadays in how they look so... Empty
The environments were basically four walls and a bunch of monsters... No buildings, no architecture, nothing

The last time I played it, which was about 5 years ago or something, it felt really weird
It made me realize just how "dark" games used to be, they had this really oppressive atmosphere or something... Im not sure if thats a direct result of the emptiness I described but it makes you feel something that you wont find in any modern game

Actually, its not just games but movies as well... Take older movies like Alien or Terminator, they are just so dark... I remember as a kid I couldnt bear watching the chasing scene at the end, it scared the hell out of me

Now you dont find that anymore... I dont think its even possible to get that kind of feel from a movie or a game, because there is too much detail and information everywhere...
I think the closest a modern game came to that for me was Dead Space 1, it had a sort of "rawness" that I hadnt seen in games in a long time
But then with the sequel they made it much more mainstream/actiony and it became just another "horror" game

Meh Im just rambling but maybe someone will understand what I mean

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Totally agree ShadowofMyself! I think the issue is that there is so much detail now and so it leaves less to the imagination, so then you aren't as scared or into it as some of the older, "darker" stuff.