Here's another one of those "Ideology trumps common sense" cases

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Ocguy got his ass served to him on a silver platter and he's trying to pull a McCain-style backpedal.

Nothing to see guys. Nothing new, anyway.

Gee, I couldnt imagine by your other posts as to where you would have came down on this matter. :roll:

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Wow...look how fast lefties are willing to erode the 1st Amendment if that free speech doesnt coincide with thier views. Sad.

Minors do not have rights. That has been established time and time again. The shirt is disruptive and intentionally so. As cliche as the expression is, school is for learning, not for political discourse.

The kid deserves the suspension.

Also, the father deserves a good thwack to the back of his head with a 2x4, not just for screwing up his kid's beliefs, but also for giving the kid a name like "Daxx".

ZV
/Minor threadjack & troll
Only female minors have the right to on-demand abortions without their parents consent. Other than that exception, you're correct, they are subjects of the state and will learn all they need to know from the state

:)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The entire thing is that "this matter" is not a partisan issue. If a child in school disrupts class in any way, he can be asked to stop doing so, and be punished if he chooses to continue the disruption, with no violation of his 1st amendment rights whatsoever. And that's exactly what happened here.

edit: and is it just me, or are the religious far right becoming a kind of counter-culture movement or what? WTF is with all these hippie-like names they're giving their children?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic
The entire thing is that "this matter" is not a partisan issue. If a child in school disrupts class in any way, he can be asked to stop doing so, and be punished if he chooses to continue the disruption, which no violation of his 1st amendment rights whatsoever. And that's exactly what happened here.

It is established law that schools have broad "loco parentis" authority vis-a-vis their minor students.

edit: and is it just me, or are the religious far right becoming a kind of counter-culture movement or what? WTF is with all these hippie-like names they're giving their children?

I think its similar to blacks, in that this fundy white sub-culture has long felt oppressed by Coastal Wasp establishment (and the Jews!), who don't give a damn about their magical 40 foot Jesus.

And so . . . they are now giving free reign to their cultural independence. The longer term question is, what bold new names will those star crossed lovers Daxx and Tanysha from Watts give to their children? ;)

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Ocguy got his ass served to him on a silver platter and he's trying to pull a McCain-style backpedal.

can we coin the term "McBackpedal" ?

:laugh:

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I haven't seen this much self-pwnage in a while.

X2

except for sometimes when Butterbean is around :laugh:

edit: so can we all agree on one thing??

the name "Daxx" really sucks.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
The entire thing is that "this matter" is not a partisan issue. If a child in school disrupts class in any way, he can be asked to stop doing so, and be punished if he chooses to continue the disruption, with no violation of his 1st amendment rights whatsoever. And that's exactly what happened here.

:thumbsup:

your edit: Crunchy Cons

Crunchy Cons: How Birkenstocked Burkeans, gun-loving organic gardeners, evangelical free-range farmers, hip homeschooling mamas, right-wing nature lovers, and their diverse tribe of countercultural conservatives plan to save America (or at least the Republican Party)

I think a lot of this applies to my family:
Birkenstocked Burkeans: somewhat
Gun-loving organic gardeners: yup
evangelical free-range farmers: Not evangelical, but like free range farming
hip homeschooling mamas: wife
right-wing nature lovers: nature loving, in some ways right wing
and their diverse tribe of countercultural conservatives plan to save America (or at least the Republican Party): fuck the republican party, I'm more concerned about saving america.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The dad managed to spell five words correctly, even got Obama right twice. Pretty high achievement level if you ask me.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

Gee, I couldnt imagine by your other posts as to where you would have came down on this matter. :roll:
That isn't surprising.

What is surprising is that none of your cronies came in here to help bail you out. Apparently even they think you got Al Capwned...hard.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

That isn't surprising.

What is surprising is that none of your cronies came in here to help bail you out. Apparently even they think you got Al Capwned...hard.
Click me! -->:)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Perknose
I think its similar to blacks, in that this fundy white sub-culture has long felt oppressed by Coastal Wasp establishment (and the Jews!), who don't give a damn about their magical 40 foot Jesus.

And so . . . they are now giving free reign to their cultural independence. The longer term question is, what bold new names will those star crossed lovers Daxx and Tanysha from Watts give to their children? ;)

:laugh::thumbsup:

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
What the fuck?

Was that t-shirt made with crayons? Ugly as sin! At least the LIBRULL LEFT has the know-how and the common sense to use that new-fangled inkjet iron-on printout technology.

I wouldn't be surprized if that kid got beat up.

Kid1: "Hey Daxx, did your drunk dad draw all over your t-shirts again?"
Daxx: "No, GO TO HELL!!!"
Kid2: "Hey, fuck you. Your first name sucks! Were you named by the Palins or something?"

Teacher: "DAAAAAXXXX, I want to see you after school."

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: LumbergTech
I don't think that elementary school is the place for accusing presidential candidates of being friends with terrorists.

Feel bad for the kid, but his parents are clearly sick bastards.

Who uses their child like that?

Clearly and obviously Republicans

Dave, you are deranged. There are/were many instances where lefty loons sent their kids to school with shirts just as sick about Bush.

I agree with the sentiments of the shirt more in those cases, but in all of them, the children are being mentally abused by the parents. You can inform your children of the issues without indoctrinating them or using them as poster boards for your far left/right opinions.

Edit: The above opinion of mine is for kids 14 and under. Those that are 15 and older probably are mature enough to form an opinion (in most cases).

If they are under 15, we can try them in a court as an adult, and if approved, then they can form their own opinions.