Here's a crazy gun control idea that might actually work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Um, at least one-half of them already been taken away. I'd say that we're less than half-free.

This is a chance to liberate futurity for fucks sake. Don't you care about your children and grand children?

Most likely he wouldn't have grandchildren if this stupid idea were enacted and accepted.

The last 15 years or so has shown government grabbing rights and tossing them aside as if we need permission to have them in the first place. You comply with something like the OP suggests and we will experience the worst atrocities ever known to mankind IMO. Because once the public can no longer defend itself and government has not only the supposed "right to rule" but also all the weapons, a scene like "The Night of The Long Knives" will commence on any and all dissenters who happened to make the right comment at the wrong time.

For any anarchist to think they should cede their right to defend oneself for some social experiment is missing the fucking boat. You don't need to prove it to anyone because history already does.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Most likely he wouldn't have grandchildren if this stupid idea were enacted and accepted.

The last 15 years or so has shown government grabbing rights and tossing them aside as if we need permission to have them in the first place. You comply with something like the OP suggests and we will experience the worst atrocities ever known to mankind IMO. Because once the public can no longer defend itself and government has not only the supposed "right to rule" but also all the weapons, a scene like "The Night of The Long Knives" will commence on any and all dissenters who happened to make the right comment at the wrong time.

For any anarchist to think they should cede their right to defend oneself for some social experiment is missing the fucking boat. You don't need to prove it to anyone because history already does.

Missing the boat is putting it mildly.

Um, at least one-half of them already been taken away. I'd say that we're less than half-free.

This is a chance to liberate futurity for fucks sake. Don't you care about your children and grand children?

So, by your logic we should let a government that is committing treason against our country take our guns and THAT WILL LIBERATE OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS?

Wow, with your logic we should pour gasoline on a wildfire to put it out.

Last edited:

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Let's tackle this prohibition style.

Everybody pro-drug rights endorse a full on marijuana ban, then, like prohibition in the 1920s, when everything goes to shit, say "I told you so". You'll get your weed back after probably 2 Presidential terms
-76 years later: still illegal
-55% of federal prisoners are in jail for drug offenses
-over 50% of Americans support complete marijuana legalization
-democrat president still stomps on state rights regarding medical marijuana

Yep, those rights certainly come back. It's not like the government takes shit forever even when it's catastrophic failure in every way and a majority of the people disagree with the law.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I'm not sure where martial law comes into play. According to his scenario yea if they banned guns they wouldn't let people run around in the street with them... :awe:

If they are banned they aren't coming back.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'm not sure where martial law comes into play. According to his scenario yea if they banned guns they wouldn't let people run around in the street with them... :awe:

If they are banned they aren't coming back.

Given that Chicago has already asked for the national guard, probably not too far off. :p

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
-76 years later: still illegal
-55% of federal prisoners are in jail for drug offenses
-over 50% of Americans support complete marijuana legalization
-democrat president still stomps on state rights regarding medical marijuana

Yep, those rights certainly come back. It's not like the government takes shit forever even when it's catastrophic failure in every way and a majority of the people disagree with the law.

The American drug scene isn't nearly violent enough to shock Americans. If it turned into Mexico, then maybe we'd see some of it legalized.

American drug gangs today are like grade school bullies compared to something like the Chicago Outfit during the prohibition era. I'm pretty sure a full-out gun ban wouldn't leave us with gradeschool bullies, we'd see some pretty powerful gangs rise once the citizens are disarmed, and I don't think the USA could stomach an actual war when compared to police officers getting to play dress up serving drug arrest warrants to stoners.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
American drug gangs today are like grade school bullies compared to something like the Chicago Outfit during the prohibition era.
Are you sure? Movies like Scarface are somewhat accurate when it comes to showing how brutal that scene is. The market is worth billions of dollars (just like alcohol was); it funds almost all gang activity (just like alcohol did). People eagerly kill each other for that kind of money. Related to this thread, a lot of gun crimes are directly caused by drugs being illegal because violence is the only way to resolve black market disputes. The government and voters are retarded, so attention is directed on guns instead of looking at what the cause of gun violence really is - poverty, black market deals, gang disputes. Crime itself perpetuates more poverty. It's hard to have any real economy in ghetto parts of town if crack heads are repeatedly smashing the store windows and robbing the place just so they can buy a bit more crack at hugely inflated black market prices.
Drugs being illegal has cause insane crime and poverty but it still has not been repealed. It's actually increasing. More drugs are added to the illegal list every day. DMT is illegal even though it's naturally found in your brain - you're a criminal just by being alive right now. You know how people cook with sage? Super genius Representative Joe Baca (democrat from California) wanted to make sage a schedule 1 drug in 2002. This bullshit will never end. Eventually it will be a federal crime to have sex or use a computer or eat tacos. No amount of studies or crime or people dying will reverse these laws.

The American drug scene isn't nearly violent enough to shock Americans. If it turned into Mexico, then maybe we'd see some of it legalized.
Your optimism is so adorable ^_^
Did you know Mexico has extremely tight gun laws? Cartels are out of control and towns are completely defenseless. This is still not enough to change the laws to allow citizens to defend themselves. Thousands of people being murdered every year is not enough to reverse bad laws. Do you think American law makers are smarter than Mexican law makers? You want to say yes but deep down you know the answer is no. You will never get your guns back if you give them up. It doesn't matter how out of control gang violence gets. Some towns in Mexico have basically no laws at all because police and their families are murdered by the cartels. People are afraid to become police. Even that is not enough to loosen gun laws so law abiding Mexicans can defend themselves.

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
So, by your logic we should let a government that is committing treason against our country take our guns and THAT WILL LIBERATE OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS?
Given the govt's track record, it's possible that they'd never give them back. However, it's also possible that they would. No one knows.

Besides, what gun rights do we have now anyway? People who live in blue States already have none and even red States limit gun rights somewhat in addition to the Federal restrictions they must follow. In addition to that, the govt is way more armed than the people could ever be.

I favor trying to secede first, but if the govt isn't going to let people secede then gun rights don't even keep the govt in check, do they? If the people through the States don't want to secede, then they don't care if they have their guns taken away anyway.

I just want the collapse to come sooner rather than later, because there is more of a movement towards gun control and even higher taxes than there is towards the States abolishing the executive power and replacing it with nothing. Congress needs to stop doing shit gradually and just fucking do it all at once so things can collapse and the survivors will be able to start over.

Either we need to let Obama run unchecked or let's secede. I'm over this half-way shit.

Gun rights really aren't that popular because Dr. Paul didn't get enough votes to become President.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

American drug gangs today are like grade school bullies compared to something like the Chicago Outfit during the prohibition era.

Spoken like someone who has never been into the big city ghettos before.

This thread just keeps getting dumb and dumber. I am beginning to question if Anarchist and his friend aren't government people coming in here trying to identify people who may be a threat. You're in the wrong forum if that is your stupid game guys, this is a computer forum filled with mostly rational people.

May 16, 2000
Let's tackle this prohibition style.

Everybody pro-gun rights endorse a full on gun ban, then, like prohibition in the 1920s, when everything goes to shit, say "I told you so". You'll get your guns back after probably 2 Presidential terms and probably the same number of gun deaths during that time regardless of the ban, so it will have been proven to be ineffectual and basically cement gun rights forever in the USA.

So, can the avid gun enthusiasts who shoot weekly, or the daily carriers give up that right for a few years just to prove a point? If you die because you can't defend yourself, you'll be a hero, and you'll become a statistic that cements the need for guns in our society and you'll make our country safer. Be heroes and give up your guns in the short term so that we can finally end this struggle and have some closure, like we did with alcohol in the 1920s.

And during that time the 100,000 - 2,500,000 people who defend themselves with firearms every year are raped, robbed, assaulted, and murdered.

No right is ever surrendered short term. The moment they're gone, they're gone forever in most cases. What's more, in the case of guns the very thing which would prevent forcing return of the right will have already been surrendered.

So how about no to your idea. I don't really like guns, but literally you can have mine when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Government and temporary (at least voluntarily) do not exist.

Exhibit 1: Social Security

If the government does anything temporary its because it has to be forced to be reversed and temporary was never the initial plan.

Exhibit 2: Prohibition

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Government and temporary (at least voluntarily) do not exist.

Exhibit 1: Social Security

If the government does anything temporary its because it has to be forced to be reversed and temporary was never the initial plan.

Exhibit 2: Prohibition

Income tax is also temporary. Again, no violence in the streets and crime warlords taking over entire cities once enacted.

The idea is to actually treat it as a permanent repeal of the 2nd amendment, then once the violence ensues similar to prohibition style violence. The masses will see the error and put enormous pressure to reinstate the 2nd amendment and we can finally put this issue to rest.

I guarantee they won't successfully disarm American citizens, so no this isn't some liberal trap. It's a carefully calculated move that conservatives should endorse so that they firmly cement their second Amendment rights, or if it goes poorly, realize that the America we thought we lived in doesn't exist anymore.

So This Is How Liberty Dies...With Thunderous Applause

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

American drug gangs today are like grade school bullies compared to something like the Chicago Outfit during the prohibition era. I'm pretty sure a full-out gun ban wouldn't leave us with gradeschool bullies, we'd see some pretty powerful gangs rise once the citizens are disarmed, and I don't think the USA could stomach an actual war when compared to police officers getting to play dress up serving drug arrest warrants to stoners.

you said not violent enough and chicago in the same sentence, HAHAHAH!

set records for murders last year, has tightest gun restrictions in the nation

waitman

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2002
Sure, why not. While we are at we can all bend over and willingly force an elephant up our asses, then after a couple of years of complaining about it they will get tired of hearing it and take the elephant out of our asses and just like before elephants up our asses will be illegal once again, like it used to be. Total ban on elephants up our asses! Totally logical.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

Gangs have not taken over Chicago.

Name one gangster with the notoriety of Al Capone in America's drug scene.

We are nowhere near the level of violence and corruption that we saw during the great depression.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Name one gangster with the notoriety of Al Capone in America's drug scene.

We are nowhere near the level of violence and corruption that we saw during the great depression.
Freeway Rick Ross made about 600 million dollars while he ran a huge cocaine network out of LA.
Carlos Lehder was worth roughly 2.7 billion dollars. He was portrayed as one of the characters in the movie Blow.
Leroy Barnes was worth about 100 million dollars. He ran a drug operation in Harlem.
George Jung was played by Johnny Depp in the movie Blow. He was worth 100 million dollars.
Frank Lucas was a drug kingpin in Harlem worth about 50 million dollars. He was played by Denzel Washington in the movie American Gangster.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'm not giving up my guns for some stunt, nor do I need to, I have the authority of the 2A to have my guns.

Being a martyr is also stupid, you just dead, you loose.

Nor would the current cast of clowns acknowledge the results. Proof you ask, Chicago, IL. The most restrictive gun laws in the country, and no carry, and a stunning murder rate.

The end results is we have criminals making laws that criminals will simply ignore, but it does help them select were to target victims, primarily gun free zones where they don't face the danger of someone shooting back.

Feb 4, 2009
Without reading the whole thread, to me we need some rational decisions about background checks and at least a minimum standard to approve, it needs to be consistent rule that doesn't allow you to drive to the next state to get a gun easier.
The tougher question is mental health. How do you handle someone you think could be dangerous or whom decides that a parent/spouse is incapable of handling a disturbed person, where can that person go that can provide safe, affordable treatment or living space while not being housed like an animal. What happens when they live alone and have no family to be involved in care? These are the high value questions we need addressed.

Last edited:

aarontpx

Apr 3, 2013

^^ The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. If you think thats sad, too bad. That is the reality. With over 300 million guns in America no amount of gun bans is going to stop criminals from having them. Banning guns may have worked like 100 years ago, but that ship has sailed. Disarming the law abiding citizens is the worst idea ever.

Lets say for example that all women over the age of 18 carried a gun with them (a .22 even), how many of them do you suppose would be raped or mugged? Responsible citizens carrying guns prevents crime.

Imagine a county where there are 10 towns, and in one of those towns every household was required to have at least one gun. Do you suppose the break in/burglary rate for that town would be higher or lower than in the other 9 towns?