Here we go again...Ex-worker sues Disney; says forbids Muslim head scarf

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
C`mon whats with this lawssuit crap??
Disney bent over backward to accomodate her...even offered here other jobs.
She knew what the rules were when she was hired.
In fact you could say she got her break when she was hired.......

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-worker-sues-disney-says-company-forbids-muslim-191710001--finance.html

(Reuters) - A former Disneyland restaurant employee sued Walt Disney Co on Monday for harassment and religious discrimination, saying she was fired because she wanted to wear a Muslim head scarf at work.

Imane Boudlal, a 28-year-old Muslim, worked as a hostess at the Storytellers Cafe, a restaurant inside Disney's Grand California Hotel & Spa at Disneyland in Anaheim, California, according to a complaint filed in federal court.

Two years into the job, Boudlal asked permission to wear a hijab, a head scarf worn by Muslim women, while at work. She said she offered to wear a scarf that matched the colors of her uniform or featured a Disney logo.

According to her lawsuit, Disney managers denied her request, saying it would violate the company's policy for how employees "look" while on the job. Among the restrictions, the policy prohibits visible tattoos and fingernails that exceed a quarter of an inch, the lawsuit said.

Boudlal said she was given the choice of working in a back area, away from customers, or wearing a fedora-style hat on top of her head scarf. When Boudlal refused, she was fired, the lawsuit states.

A U.S. citizen who was born in Morocco, Boudlal said she was also subject to anti-Arab and anti-Muslim slurs, including being called "terrorist" and "camel" by co-workers and supervisors. She said she reported the incidents to managers, but they took no action.

"Disneyland calls itself the happiest place on earth, but I faced harassment as soon as I started working there," Boudlal said in a statement released by the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California. "It only got worse when I decided to wear a hijab."

Disney said it offered Boudlal several options for a costume that would accommodate her religious beliefs, as well as four different jobs where she could wear her own hijab.

"Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has a history of accommodating religious requests from cast members of all faiths," Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown said in a statement.

"Unfortunately, (Boudlal) has rejected all of our efforts and has since refused to come to work," Brown said.

The lawsuit seeks punitive damages and an order that states Disney may not prohibit employees from wearing hijabs. It also asks that Disney be ordered to provide anti-harassment training for employees about Muslim issues.

The case is Boudlal v. Disney.

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is why I have a love them and hate them relationship with the aclu. This is not sue worthy and does nothing to advance civil liberties.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Liberalism at its finest, sensitizing America to believe everyone has to accommodate you even if its against the rules.

Apr 27, 2012
She needs to follow the rules, NO HIJABS AT ALL, IF SHE CANT SHE SHOULD BE FIRED

Send her back to wherever she came from

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
This is stupid. Disney bent over-backwards for her, they offered to have a custom Hijab for her that conformed with Islamic rules, and fit their costumes, but she refused. She wants to be able to wear only her Hijab.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Also, I am sure Disney has regulations against the discrimination of women and most people see the head scarf as highly discriminatory and sexist towards women in the modern professional world. It was nice of Disney to attempt to make one for her that would fit both criteria but I think France was right to ban these things.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Two years into the job, Boudlal asked permission to wear a hijab

So...it was fine that she didn't wear it for two years but now its an issue?

saying she was fired because she wanted to wear a Muslim head scarf at work

(She) has since refused to come to work

:hmm: Perhaps she was fired for not coming to work?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
This is stupid. Disney bent over-backwards for her, they offered to have a custom Hijab for her that conformed with Islamic rules, and fit their costumes, but she refused. She wants to be able to wear only her Hijab.

Liberalism at its finest, sensitizing America to believe everyone has to accommodate you even if its against the rules.

They did try to accommodate her

Boudlal said she was given the choice of working in a back area, away from customers, or wearing a fedora-style hat on top of her head scarf. When Boudlal refused, she was fired, the lawsuit states.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
As much as I dislike disney they did the right thing. She was already working there for 2 years and the hat she decided she wanted to wear is not religious. The only thing is the name calling from co-workers, if true, then maybe she has some sort of case but not for the head dress.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Disney said it offered Boudlal several options for a costume that would accommodate her religious beliefs, as well as four different jobs where she could wear her own hijab.
I think this is the crux of it. Lacking further information, I'm a bit surprised that most of the people on this thread can come to a conclusion. IMO, it comes down to a question of whether both sides have been sufficiently reasonable in their stance in the situation. The apparent fact that it has come to the point of a lawsuit suggests that one side is being unreasonable.

Either they completely Disney, or they didn't really provide a costume that would accommodate her beliefs, or she's lying, looking for a fight or is overly picky.

Substitute attire for skin colour or natural hair colour and see how you all feel about it then. Religious-type beliefs are generally considered to be just as important a part of one's identity and almost as unchangeable as skin colour, and if you can think of a good reason why someone should change their natural hair colour for the sake of an employee's preference, I'm willing to listen.

Her wearing a hijab apparently doesn't affect her ability to do her job or be identified as an employee, so IMO I would be scrutinising Disney's approach to this situation.

I've heard of silly situations that are the reverse of this one, allegedly the NHS comes down hard on medical staff wearing jewellery (for hygiene reasons) but if the item is linked with a minority religion, they suddenly run for cover for fear of being accused of discrimination.

Last edited:

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
As much as I dislike disney they did the right thing. She was already working there for 2 years and the hat she decided she wanted to wear is not religious. The only thing is the name calling from co-workers, if true, then maybe she has some sort of case but not for the head dress.

The name calling is probably a lie. Its hard to see how it would be tolerated in ultra liberal Disneyland, let alone tolerated due to fears of a lawsuit. And a disgruntled ex employee lying isnt new at all, its common as hell.

As far as her head scarf goes its not required according to the Quaran to wear one, only Muhammed's 4 wives had to wear them. Its a cultural tradition and its as simple as that. If she wants to work in [most] jobs in the USA she will have to be flexible and realize that most jobs are not going to cater to her specific needs all the time.

The only exception I can see in Disney's case is if they made exceptions for other religious groups...Like allowing a Jew to work while wearing a Yalmeke or a Sikh to wear his turban...In that case she has a right to complain and get her way. But it doesn't look like Disney has made exceptions for anyone so they should be ok.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
This is where political correctness leads us, everyone thinks the rules should be adjusted to meet whatever idiotic notions they might have.

Apr 27, 2012
This is where political correctness leads us, everyone thinks the rules should be adjusted to meet whatever idiotic notions they might have.

Political correctness must be stopped and this woman must be kicked out of the country we dont need any of her type here

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
the employee should respect the company rules and the company should respect the employee religion.

See post above yours.

It is not required by religion, just tradition.

Respecting does not mean 110% accommodation; The company has a business to run.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
See post above yours.

And when the company offers different alternatives that will allow her to express her religion in a way she wants, that is a very accomodating company.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Political correctness must be stopped and this woman must be kicked out of the country we dont need any of her type here

What if more of us want you and your types kicked out?

See post above yours.

Dressing modestly is required by religion..yes, each one does it different, your twisting it by saying its not

I was looking at a picture of a Jewish poster here the other day all done up in his head scarf and blowing a horn
In effect your saying he just following tradition and should not be doing that

Looks like this woman has become too American and doing what Americans do
Sue each other over everything

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why is it when employers don't allow crosses to be worn at work its religious persecution?

Jun 26, 2007
Disney has regulations on jewelry.

Yeah but incorruptible would whine incessantly about how the poor Christians are the most persecuted people in the USA.

He sure as hell would never argue that the christian should be sent back to wherever she came from.

Apr 27, 2012
Yeah but incorruptible would whine incessantly about how the poor Christians are the most persecuted people in the USA.

He sure as hell would never argue that the christian should be sent back to wherever she came from.

That woman had plenty of options, Disney tried to accommodate her with other jobs but no it was more important to attack Western Civilization. She wasn't born here as well

Jun 26, 2007
Also, I am sure Disney has regulations against the discrimination of women and most people see the head scarf as highly discriminatory and sexist towards women in the modern professional world. It was nice of Disney to attempt to make one for her that would fit both criteria but I think France was right to ban these things.

France hasn't banned the hijab.

They did ban any clothing that covers the face like a niqab, burqa or a baklava in public though but it has absolutely nothing to do with religion.

They didn't want womens football players wearing the hijab but that is another matter in it's entirety.