Here Is What Louisiana Schoolchildren Learn About Evolution

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Can we agree to place a sticker on every Bible in existence: {WARNING!! THIS BOOK CONTAINS MANY MYTHOLOGICAL EXPLANATIONS USED BY PRIMITIVE MAN TO EXPLAIN THE WORKINGS OF THE UNIVERSE. ALTHOUGH SOME HISTORICAL FIGURES AND EVENTS ARE FACTUAL, MANY FLIGHTS OF FANCY ARE ALSO PRESENT. Please note this present manuscript has gone through many translations and editing and may no longer bear any resemblance to the original.}

Nov 30, 2006
I just really want to know why you think that. If it is, then there is nothing I can do but to reevaluate my beliefs.

Is it fair to ask you for evidence, as you do me? I am not trying to be a wiseguy, Doc, I just personally think its ridiculous to not have any burden of proof outside of opinion, but ask persons like me to give you tangible proof of God and creation.
Do you believe that the Earth and universe were created in 6 days?

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I just really want to know why you think that. If it is, then there is nothing I can do but to reevaluate my beliefs.

Is it fair to ask you for evidence, as you do me? I am not trying to be a wiseguy, Doc, I just personally think its ridiculous to not have any burden of proof outside of opinion, but ask persons like me to give you tangible proof of God and creation.

Am I the only one to se the irony?

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Can we agree to place a sticker on every Bible in existence: {WARNING!! THIS BOOK CONTAINS MANY MYTHOLOGICAL EXPLANATIONS USED BY PRIMITIVE MAN TO EXPLAIN THE WORKINGS OF THE UNIVERSE. ALTHOUGH SOME HISTORICAL FIGURES AND EVENTS ARE FACTUAL, MANY FLIGHTS OF FANCY ARE ALSO PRESENT. Please note this present manuscript has gone through many translations and editing and may no longer bear any resemblance to the original.}

I see what you did there ;)

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I can't keep up with the diatribes in here. I appologize to anyone who I might not have responded to but that's just a bit much to read after 1 day.

Nov 30, 2006
Answer my question first.
You asked me why I thought the creation story was obviously allegory...did you not?

I'm answering your question...please bear with me.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Am I the only one to se the irony?

Actually, at the very least, I gave you proof. You rejected it as allegory or insufficient. It's time to prove why that evidence is both allegory and insufficient.

Don't give me evolution as an answer.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Well, you simply have two alternatives: the Genesis account is allegorical, or it is false. A literal reading is incompatible with reality.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
You asked me why I thought the creation story was obviously allegory...did you not?

I'm answering your question...please bear with me.

I believe God created the Earth in the time he took to do it.

Your turn!

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

I like that quite a bit.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I saw clearly through the BS trap there.

You're such a joke..

What trap? He asked you a direct question requiring you to be forthcoming about your beliefs. A simple yes or no would suffice to answer it.

Your evasive responses only reveal the fact that you're trying to insulate yourself from the truth.

Nov 30, 2006
I am bearing with you, but you can't answer a question with a question.
No...you are not bearing with me.

I think you intuitively know where this is going and are doing your best to avoid plain discussion regarding the fallacy of a literal translation of the creation story. If you are about Truth...you go wherever it takes you no matter how it affects your belief system. Our God is not a deceiver. If you believe that evolution somehow precludes the existence of God, then you are greatly mistaken. Theistic evolution is mainstream Christian thought my friend.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
What trap? He asked you a direct question requiring you to be forthcoming about your beliefs. A simple yes or no would suffice to answer it.

Your evasive responses only reveal the fact that you're trying to insulate yourself from the truth.

Where's his evidence that its all allegory?

Asking me a question isn't an answer, not matter how many links you post. You need to learn what a debate really is and how to do it.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010

Fitting, since Creationists want similar stickers on biology textbooks

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Where's his evidence that its all allegory?
Well it certainly isn't literally true. You seem like you believe that it is literally true, a fact betrayed by your reluctance to answer a straightforward question about the literal interpretation of Genesis. The only other alternative is that it is just false.

Asking me a question isn't an answer, not matter how many links you post. You need to learn what a debate really is and how to do it.
Honest debate requires good faith, and it is clear you have none.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Just address what I said, please Darwin.

Just saying, religionists arent the only persons in the world that lie and get things wrong.

Being wong isn't a crime, its a part of life and science, for that matter.

All I am saying... ALL I AM saying, is that it isn't too far-fected to think that the science can be distorted delibertely.

First of all, I NEVER said that religionists are the only ones that lie and get things wrong.

Science used to be able to be distorted, sometimes easily, but its getting very difficult today with the speed information travels and the amount of peer-review that goes on. But thats not really the point because with this subject you can actually observe it yourself.

As you stated, 85% of leading scientists don't believe in a personal god. Even if they hinted as such, would probably mean career suicide.

85% of the elite scientists and it is nowhere near "career suicide" for the other 15% or they flat out wouldn't be there. The number drops off significantly for just "good and average" scientists, so no, you are not committing career suicide by being religious. You WOULD commit career suicide, in almost all cases, by saying something like "this problem is unsolvable because god did it and thats that". Science just doesn't work that way, other than that I would wager they are like almost every other person on the planet. Their faith and their work don't intermingle much.

Science class.

Huh? This is what you were replying to:

I am not sure if you chose your words carefully or not. Are you implying that ID should be in the science class at all?

So that doesn't really answer my question at all. A simple yes or no, should ID be taught in science class?

Is this the general concensus? That's why I said that. THey don't reflect my views, just the scientific world.

I am sorry to tell you but we have already moved beyond the "general consensus" part, as I said earlier you can actually observe it happening in a lab. In todays world denying that some form of evolution has and does exist is akin to holding onto the flat earth theory back in the days after we proved the earth was round. Note the similarities, we didn't know exactly WHY the earth was round or exactly how it became round but we did know for a fact that it was round.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It seems to me there is only one way to bring this Louisiana bullshit to a screeching halt.

And that is simply up to our colleges and Universities to simply deny college admission to any State of Louisiana High school graduate on the grounds that they fail to qualify for college admission due to an inferior State Standards that renders their high school diploma as worthless. And therefore such students must take remedial science classes before they can even qualify for higher education admission standards.

I have only said it half a dozen times in this thread already but for the lazy and slow I will repeat it again. This is NOT what is being taught in Louisiana public schools. It is being taught in a batshit crazy private school that was able to get a small amount of state funding due to the new voucher system.

Please don't make me get my 5 year old to have to draw it out in crayon.

And BTW, you aren't going to make it past biology 101 in college anyway if you hold onto religious views that go against proven and accepted science like some in this thread do.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Well it certainly isn't literally true. The only other alternative is that it is just false.

So you have no proof.

I could swear you are an atheist because some of them sure in hell like to make sweeping accusations about Christian faith without providing one shred of evidence outside of "it's just false".

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

We do have proof that creation didn't happen exactly the way the bible said it did. That proof is called evolution.......

Your turn, prove the bibles creation story correct.