Here is how controlling the post office can steal the election

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
More collateral damage from Trump. Seniors not getting their prescription drugs on time

As I said, ruining something that people almost universally think favorably of and actually need is a bad plan. Especially if you're asking for them to re-elect you. Rural and small town America is incredibly dependent on the postal service and they're going to be pissed if they think Trump fucked it up.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Mar 11, 2004
As I said, ruining something that people almost universally think favorably of and actually need is a bad plan. Especially if you're asking for them to re-elect you. Rural and small town America is incredibly dependent on the postal service and they're going to be pissed if they think Trump fucked it up.

The problem is they won't think that because they've been trained to not think that.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The problem is they won't think that because they've been trained to not think that.
How do you fix people that have been convinced to vote against their self interest their whole voting career in the guise of ensuring your trickle down keeps coming, and if you win the lottery you won't be taxed to death.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
In another naked attempt to steal the election by depressing mail in ballots Trump trying to increase the cost of ballots to 55 cents. The normal bulk rate for these types of mailings is 20 cents.

The only legal way to do it would be to raise the rates on all bulk mail & business won't stand for it. Nuh-uhh. Try again.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The only legal way to do it would be to raise the rates on all bulk mail & business won't stand for it. Nuh-uhh. Try again.

The states certainly suffer monetary harm here. Right in the middle of a pandemic. Pretty easy for them to pursue an injunction until it can be decided in court.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
In another naked attempt to steal the election by depressing mail in ballots Trump trying to increase the cost of ballots to 55 cents. The normal bulk rate for these types of mailings is 20 cents.

already covered...post #33.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Every time I even try to think of the absurdity of the election process in the US I get a little nausious.

That said, I plan on dropping my mail in ballot at a voting location as opposed to actually mailing it anywhere. Most of the delay at polling locations is actually waiting for people to vote,if you do that part ahead of time and just swing by to drop the ballot in a box things tend to go a bit more smoothly.

I haven't seen a substantial drop on postal service here where i am but no point in taking risks.

Reactions: Ken g6

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Every stupid obvious attempt at rigging the vote by the Repubs should be met with an overwhelming resistance and taken as a source of motivation to vote against such chicanery. The more the Repubs try to cheat their way to victory, the more it should be met with righteous indignation.

This is not a contest to find out who could ultimately outwit the other in the way of sleazy unethical malpractice of the voting processes yet this is what the Repub party has turned the process into in order to rule the nation from a minority party status, if we let them.

I have no idea when the people of the nation will turn out in such numbers that we can overcome the Repub's efforts to finagle their way around the intent of our founding fathers in regard to electing our leaders in a fair and honest way, but it sure feels like we're on the verge of making things true to their intentions.

edit - fixed a contrary term from "away" to "out"

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
All you have to do is declare ballots don't qualify for bulk rates. You don't change the actual number. PG can probably do that by fiat. In another post someone pointed out Trump's PG fired all the top level postal appointees so makes it easier

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Reactions: cytg111

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
All you have to do is declare ballots don't qualify for bulk rates. You don't change the actual number. PG can probably do that by fiat. In another post someone pointed out Trump's PG fired all the top level postal appointees so makes it easier

Ballots are no different than other prepaid mailers. To single them out would be to impose a poll tax.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
His plan to tank the US so it’s not even a 3rd world country and then mock Biden for doing such a poor job

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
His plan to tank the US so it’s not even a 3rd world country and then mock Biden for doing such a poor job

It certainly looks that way but I think the most reasonable explanation is that he is just really, really incompetent at being president.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
as the oldest of the 4 or 5 new post office asshole in charge creates a crisis, and the one i've posted in, i'll give this update:

after 3 weeks of no updates, my package suddenly showed as out for delivery. but it got returned to sender for insufficient address. almost no doubt the label got damaged somewhere along the way. seller says he'll ship it back, i offered to cover some of the postage.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm still confused as to what Republicans think the political payoff for breaking the postal service will be. It is the most popular thing the government's got even above NASA. I mean eventually people will notice.
To me, the kicker is people not getting their meds. Trump pulling the plug on the USPS won't exactly make him popular with people who depend on it. He's desperate. He'll try anything, anything! 81 days.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Trump was also pondering on executive orders to shut it all down. Democrats being feckless as usual.

I have to humbly disagree. Another impeachment inquiry would only serve to boost Trump's numbers at this point. He'll claim the Democrats aren't doing their jobs, spending all their time trying to oust him 3 months before the election, and we'll go through the same stupid shit we did two years ago with zero to gain from it.

Everyone who can possibly dislike Trump already does, so you aren't going to snag any new voters. There's literally nobody undecided at this point, I'm pretty sure you could hold the election today and the votes would be identical to November.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I'm still confused as to what Republicans think the political payoff for breaking the postal service will be. It is the most popular thing the government's got even above NASA. I mean eventually people will notice.
Payoff is stealing the election. It doesn't matter what people think if you steal the election regardless of how they want to vote.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This is more than alarming, but myself, I'm gonna vote by mail and not worry about it. My reasons are:

1. I'm gonna mail ASAP
2. I'm SIP, so don't want to visit an election office or the polls on election day
3. I'm in CA, and if CA goes for Trump there will be a revolution or else the republic will literally fall to pieces, depend on it