Henry Cavill to be executive producer of Warhammer Cinematic Universe from Amazon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
That's true of the Warcraft movie. It has nothing to do with Warhammer.

Warcraft the game does. Back before Warcraft 1 was completed, Blizzard presented it to Games Workshop in the hopes they would be able to make a Warhammer game out of it. Games Workshop turned them down. Blizzard remade it into their own, Warcraft. It's no surprise Starcraft shares many similarities to Warhammer 40K.
I thought StarCraft was originally pitched as a 40k game to GW as well? Or maybe it was warcraft.

Anyway, I remember seeing some pics of the early alpha builds. Oof. And to think that went on to be the standard bearer for RTS games. Crazy!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My understanding of the situation is that he quit due to creative differences.

I'm going to interpret that as the equivalent of firing him, because whatever it was he was probably right and the show might be worse off without doing the story that he wanted to do.

....Probably like this:

Cavill: Geralt chooses Triss, obviosly
Netflix: Um, no. We've spent a lot of time making Yennefer hot and naked and plus we already made Triss a PoC which is already pissing off the "anti-woke" virgins that masturbate to this show, so we can't do that.
Cavill: Yennefer is a bitch. She doesn't even like Gerlat. Have you guys fucking read any of this stuff? Geralt chooses Triss. It's the only valid option
Netflix: but the fans will hate it and call us "woke!"
Cavill: Fans are fucking garbage. Stop listening to them. I quit if you choose to go the obviously wrong route with this.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Henry Cavil is to good looking for most of the roles he is in which is why he was the perfect Superman.

So is he going to play the Emperor of Man in his prime?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Henry Cavil is to good looking for most of the roles he is in which is why he was the perfect Superman.

So is he going to play the Emperor of Man in his prime?
He'd make a good Guilliman! And the Ultramarines are probably the most accessible and film friendly thing in 40k.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Rings of Power visuals are great, no doubt. Really high production values too. But there is just something off about the acting. The actors don't really have the charisma and screen presence that would be expected from something supposed to be so grand. Wheel of time had the same issue. Other than Rosamund Pike, I had trouble caring about any of the other cast.

Warhammer should have a better chance with Henry's name attached to it. If they churn out just one spectacular season, it would be enough, for me at least.

Wheel of time cast felt like a WB show from back in the day, and not one of the good ones.

• Haha
Reactions: purbeast0

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Wheel of time cast felt like a WB show from back in the day, and not one of the good ones.

Idk I really enjoyed Wheel of Time. Of course I also liked the Sword of Truth and Merlin series so wth do I know?

;)

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Idk I really enjoyed Wheel of Time. Of course I also liked the Sword of Truth and Merlin series so wth do I know?

;)

I didn't watch those other ones, but for the budget it had I just felt it should be better. To fair I didn't make it past the first episode so I may go back and revisit it if I ever run out of stuff to watch as I did love the wheel of time books back when I started reading them in middle school.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
To fair I didn't make it past the first episode so I may go back and revisit it if I ever run out of stuff to watch as I did love the wheel of time books back when I started reading them in middle school.

Just think back to the 2+ PAGES Jordan would often spend describing something as simple as an Aes Sedai's gown lol.

:tearsofjoy:

ONE book would make about a dozen seasons worth of hour-long streaming episodes if they really stuck to the story!

Did you ever finish the series after Jordan passed? If not you really should.... Brandon Sanderson did a great job.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I don’t know much about Warhammer. Sounds intriguing. Hopefully the backstory is professionally written, and not 10th grade level fanfic.
I stumbled upon this amazing Warhammer inspired-cosplay:
65467A12-7703-4665-8B0E-6DA26DF72086.jpeg

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don’t know much about Warhammer. Sounds intriguing. Hopefully the backstory is professionally written, and not 10th grade level fanfic.
I stumbled upon this amazing Warhammer inspired-cosplay:
View attachment 73099
40k is weird. It's source material can be really well written but some of it is pretty much at the level of fan fiction. There's a bazillion novels and the setting is amazing. It's very dark and nihilistic so that has to be your thing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Rings of Power visuals are great, no doubt. Really high production values too. But there is just something off about the acting. The actors don't really have the charisma and screen presence that would be expected from something supposed to be so grand. Wheel of time had the same issue. Other than Rosamund Pike, I had trouble caring about any of the other cast.

Warhammer should have a better chance with Henry's name attached to it. If they churn out just one spectacular season, it would be enough, for me at least.
I am in the minority and think the visuals in the show sucked. It was clear which scenes were filmed in a blue room and the actual "sets" they had looked like high school plays. And don't get me started with the costumes lol. Looked like stuff they picked up at Party City in October. The Harfoots looked "too" dirty to the point that it just looked completely fake. It LOOKED like it was done intentionally to make someone look dirty, it looked anything but natural. And again, their whole set just looked so pitiful and fake.

You are spot on about the acting as well. It's terrible. The worst was the one chicks kid. Oh my god he has to be one of the sons of someone on the show. It was painful every time he was on screen. And then you have the main blonde chick, the black elf, and the one elf that is friends with the dwarfs. Every one of them is painful as shit to watch on screen lol. Absolutely stone faced and monotonous. I don't even remember anyone's name in the show at all because it's so forgettable.

Just a bad show overall. I pretty much stayed along for the ride because I was like "okay it HAS to get better than this..." and then it kind of did, in episode 6, but then got back to the regularly scheduled snooze fest after that.

The only characters I really liked were the dwarves.

Watching this at the same time as House of the Dragon I think also just showed how amateur everything about LOTR was compared to HOTD. It's like watching the NFL than a highschool JV football team play.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
One GoT fan recommended RoP to me like it was the best show of the decade. I don't get it. How does someone lower their standards from GoT to RoP? :oops:

Only answer I can come up with is, they couldn't find anything better to watch.
Yeah they are not even close to being on the same level like in any aspects.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just think back to the 2+ PAGES Jordan would often spend describing something as simple as an Aes Sedai's gown lol.

:tearsofjoy:

ONE book would make about a dozen seasons worth of hour-long streaming episodes if they really stuck to the story!

Did you ever finish the series after Jordan passed? If not you really should.... Brandon Sanderson did a great job.
I gave up around book 8 I think.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I gave up around book 8 I think.

Understandable.... it really is extremely long. :confused:

Having said that, the ending by Sanderson (based on Jordans outline) is tremendous. Even if you try picking up where you left off it would still be well worth the effort IMO.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Understandable.... it really is extremely long. :confused:

Having said that, the ending by Sanderson (based on Jordans outline) is tremendous. Even if you try picking up where you left off it would still be well worth the effort IMO.

got rid of the hardcovers when I moved so no, not going to start it back up

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
James Gunn is apparently intent on throwing out the baby with the bathwater when it comes to the DCEU.

Canning Henry Cavill and Gal Gadot is IMO one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen from a production company. There's less than zero chance I'll invest an instant of effort getting into a "new" cast of characters.
wait.. he's getting rid of Gal Gadot as well?!
i guess it makes sense if he's doing Super friends the early years.

Supes still living with ma + pa kent.
Wonder woman still on Paradise island.

the heads of Warner Brothers probably thinking why didnt they buy Marvel instead?

i'm thinking it's going to be more of the same for the upcoming DC movies.. start some new story arc, get to the middle, then reboot

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The people running DC really are stupid apparently. :rolleyes:

They finally have a couple "iconic" characters and bam right out the window.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020

They finally have a couple "iconic" characters and bam right out the window.
I'm surprised that they managed to get Man Of Steel, Wonder Woman and Aquaman right. Maybe the studio heads were on vacation when those movies were screened.

Jul 27, 2020
A lot of these bosses are totally clueless. They don't know much so they depend on their underlings to perform well. When something goes wrong, they fire that underling and hire a new one with some track record of success in the industry. Few more movies get churned out and then a box office bomb. Rinse. Repeat.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
A lot of these bosses are totally clueless. They don't know much so they depend on their underlings to perform well. When something goes wrong, they fire that underling and hire a new one with some track record of success in the industry. Few more movies get churned out and then a box office bomb. Rinse. Repeat.

I constantly find it amazing how many people make a shit ton of money to approve things that are often quite terrible and stupid. And not just in entertainment.

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
I constantly find it amazing how many people make a shit ton of money to approve things that are often quite terrible and stupid. And not just in entertainment.
QFT!

Real life example: Our servers are Ivy Bridge-E. Getting awfully long in the tooth. For the past year or so, the outsourced developers and one so-called Cloud Expert have been working to move everything to the cloud. They keep saying it's any day now but something keeps going wrong at the last minute before the migration. Meanwhile, everyone who has to use the core system has to suffer slowdowns. The company has paid almost $125K for the cloud migration effort so far. And it will keep paying coz the Azure VMs will keep getting used by the developers.

Went to the boss with a proposal to get at least our IIS application's performance improved with a single socket Ice Lake 32-thread server so we can at least get some relief from the constant slowdowns on the existing 12-thread dual socket server. The server costs $10K. He consulted with the developers. They said, why do you want to waste $10K on a physical server that will be useless when you move to cloud in max two month's time? He's apparently going to listen to them. AGAIN! :mad:

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
James Gunn is apparently intent on throwing out the baby with the bathwater when it comes to the DCEU.

Canning Henry Cavill and Gal Gadot is IMO one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen from a production company. There's less than zero chance I'll invest an instant of effort getting into a "new" cast of characters.
Gunn's reposnse:

When one user asked Gunn about the shakeup, he replied on Twitter, "I'm not sure where you're getting that we 'booted' Gal."

So Gal Gadot might still be WW.

Lets see if Gunn being the head of DC Studios will finally bring out a good coherent story arc.
or more of the same.. reboots, get to the middle of the arc, then someone new is put in place who has a different vision. rinse/repeat garbage

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
OK, so 40K show. if I know anything about GW licensed properties, there is roughly a 95% chance that this sucks all ass that has ever or will ever exist, so I am tempering my expectations. Cavil's association alone bumps it up that last 5% otherwise I'm certain it would suck all ass from the beginning to end of time.

Some thoughts on how it could be made to work:

- Make Dan Abnett write the whole damn thing. He's basically the only actually GOOD writer in the Black Library and has the smarts to bend the lore in order to tell a good story.

- Best bet for an intro series is to either have the whole thing revolve around an Inquisitor or a Rogue Trader. These characters generally have a ton of freedom and latitude and authority to really expose viewers to a solid cross section of the Imperium and its foes.

- Don't get bogged down in exposition or explanation. Tell a relatable story in the 40K setting and let the rule of cool guide people to discover the universe on their own terms. Please no "LOL Servitors, remember how we used to have actual machines in the dark age of tech but because we all exist in a theocratic ultra fascist nightmare where demons are real and there is no separation of church and state and our god is literally real and is dying because he was betrayed by his son who was the puppet of the four chaos gods that rule over a parallel universe that we have to fly though called the warp we don't actually have true machines anymore... with the notable exception of the tech priests of mars who..." Its too much and the best way to explain is to just... not.

- Space Marines are going to look dumb as shit on TV next to normally proportioned humans and they're absurdly rare. If you need a Deus Ex Machina or need to end the season on a real motherfucker of a cliffhanger call in the Adeptus Astartes.

- Orks would also look stupid as shit on TV. The bad guys basically have to be Chaos cultists, Tyrranids, or Eldar (but they're too relatable so expect a frenemy Eldar) to be the villain.

I got more but I'm gonna stop here cause this feels like both blessing and a curse all at once.