TheBeast

Oct 10, 1999
I've got the W32.Nimda.E@mm virus on my computer and can't get rid of it. Has anyone else here successfully rid themselves of this thing? I've got NAV installed on the computer and every 5 or 6 days it quarantines a new set of files all containing this virus. I've got all of the latest updates and have downloaded and run the fix nimda.e.com file from the norton site. I follow the instructions for removal, and it says no files are detected on my computer. When I try to delete the files manually from quarantine I get an error message telling me I can't delete the file. I don't know whether it is causing any harm, or if NAV takes care of it as soon as it resurfaces, all I know is I want to get rid of the damn thing. It supposedly comes in an email with an attatchment sample.exe. I don't recall getting an email like this, and I never open .exe so I'm boggled as to how I got this damn thing. If someone could please help I'd be incredibly greatful. Thanks

boi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2002
You can always reformat:) Make sure you back up your non-infected files.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Here.

Any time you have a question or problem like this, a few seconds researching with Google will often go a long, long way toward solving your problem.

TheBeast

Oct 10, 1999
Astaroth33,

Thanks for tip, I always go to google first. Its only after trying to get rid of it for 2 weeks on my own that I decided to try here as it is likely one of the tens of thousands of anandtechers has likely had the same problem as I am having. As I said in my original post, though, I downloaded the fix and have run it several times to no avail ... the tool says it can't find the virus on my computer, yet I keep getting infected files found by NAV every couple of days. I'm not sure if anything is messed up or if I'm sending out random virus emails (though no one has informed me that I have).

If anyone has been throught this, please let me know what you did.

Reformatting is not one of my favorite options:0

DAWeinG

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2001
There's a special tool developed by symantec that removes it. A search for nimda on download.com will get you that tool. Here is the link :)

Edit: Hmm... You've got the E version. I wonder if the tool will fix it because it's titled: W32.Nimda.A@mm (Nimda) Removal Tool. Worth a try anyways.

Edit2: Whoops nevermind. I see that you've already tried that option. >_<

TheBeast

Oct 10, 1999
Thanks for the replys:) I'm still looking for that needle in a haystack here at anandtech who has successfully removed this thing from their computer. If you are that needle, please let me know.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
How are people still getting this virus? Does no one believe in doing updates to their system anymore?

TheBeast

Oct 10, 1999
I have the latest NAV and updates are checked for and downloaded if available daily. I have no idea where I got the virus from, as I never open .exe attatchments and never received an email with the so called sample.exe. NAV never even told me I had the virus, I only noticed when looking through virus scan histories and seeing the quarantined files that continue to show up. Can you help me, or are you just here to call me an idiot?