palladium

Dec 24, 2007
I recently overclocked my GTX280 to 650/1402/2400 and I ran Furmark to test for stability. However, when I turn on AA ( any value), I noticed some strange yellow lines appearing in the background. This problem disappeared when I turned off AA. Things that I've tried:

- restore clocks to default - same issue
- re-installed my drivers (177.xx - the latest driver crashes my computer for some reason) - no help
- played CoH for 2 hours straight on OCed card - no issues
- restore CPU clocks to stock - does not help
- ran ATITool artifact scanning for 20 mins ( still running as I'm typing this) - no errors found ( although the unsigned driver wasn't loaded)

Maximum temperature while running Furmark is 78C ( after 30 mins) on 100% fan speed.

Here is a screenie that I caught while running Furmark. I've circled the area where the yellow lines are found.

Should I RMA this card?

TIA

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Depends on the manufacturer... I don't think you damaged your card, see if it gets worse.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: palladium
I recently overclocked my GTX280 to 650/1402/2400 and I ran Furmark to test for stability. However, when I turn on AA ( any value), I noticed some strange yellow lines appearing in the background. This problem disappeared when I turned off AA. Things that I've tried:

- re-installed my drivers (177.xx - the latest driver crashes my computer for some reason) - no help
- ran ATITool artifact scanning for 20 mins ( still running as I'm typing this) - no errors found ( although the unsigned driver wasn't loaded)

Maximum temperature while running Furmark is 78C ( after 30 mins) on 100% fan speed.

Here is a screenie that I caught while running Furmark. I've circled the area where the yellow lines are found.

Should I RMA this card?

TIA

i wouldn't use Furmark - a synthetic OGL bench - for ANY example
- the RMA guys will have a real laugh if you try to use the rotating donut as evidence of malfunction :p

show us a screenshot from a game

i noted that the latest drivers [what are they GF 181.20] have some issues with Furmark v1.40 that 180.48 didn't have, anyway
- i don't remember 1.77.XX .. GF 178.24 was OK, however .. maybe update your drivers. i think Furmark is updated also.

rose.gif

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
That's just what this proggy seems to do when AA is turned on -- it has nothing to do with any instability (it does the same thing on my non-OCed 8800)

Based on the one example, nothing is wrong with your card...

palladium

Dec 24, 2007
Originally posted by: apoppin

Should I RMA this card?

TIA

i wouldn't use Furmark - a synthetic OGL bench - for ANY example
- the RMA guys will have a real laugh if you try to use the rotating donut as evidence of malfunction :p

show us a screenshot from a game

i noted that the latest drivers [what are they GF 181.20] have some issues with Furmark v1.40 that 180.48 didn't have, anyway
- i don't remember 1.77.XX .. GF 178.24 was OK, however .. maybe update your drivers. i think Furmark is updated also.

rose.gif

Well everything is normal in a game.

That's just what this proggy seems to do when AA is turned on -- it has nothing to do with any instability (it does the same thing on my non-OCed 8800)

Sweet, glad to know that I'm not alone

Thanks guys.

palladium

Dec 24, 2007
Originally posted by: clandren
I recently overclocked

does that break the agreement of your warranty?

If I downclock the card back to its stock settings before I send it in, would they be able to trace that I've OC the card?

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: clandren
I recently overclocked

does that break the agreement of your warranty?

If I downclock the card back to its stock settings before I send it in, would they be able to trace that I've OC the card?
If the terms of your warranty do not cover overclocking damage, then that would be considered fraud and it is not to be discussed in this forum.

- AmberClad (Video Mod)

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It is not likely that overclocking w/o a voltmod, at only 78C, would case damage. I'm suggesting that IF the card is damaged, the o'c probably had nothing to do with it.

Having temporary graphical errors from overclocking a card too far is completely normal and expected, and is resolved by simply reducing the clock speed (if it weren't for the issue Painman already pointed out). Actual damage tends to effect several games, often 2D uses, at stock speed. Overclocking might accelerate the deterioration of a defect on a card, but they would just clock lock them if they had significant failures in their labs attributed to merely overclocking, knowing how many people do so.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Who made your GTX? That has a big impact on whether or not they cover OC problems. XFX, EVGA and (I think) BFG will cover problems experienced during overclocking their cards. As long as you registered the card with them within 30 days of buying it you shouldn't have any problems if you decide to RMA. If you didn't register it or it's from another maker, you may be in trouble.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
to me, it looks like a driver problem, try reinstalling with cleaning w/ ccleaner/drivercleaner + in safe mode? if all else fails, did u try a complete reformat?

palladium

Dec 24, 2007
It's an ASUS GTX280.

Yeah I probably should update/reinstall my driver soon, I'm having other problems such as the graphics card powered off and failed to turn on after I left the computer idle for 2 hours ( the green light on the rear of my GFX went red, but wouldn't turn back to green no matter how many times I click the mouse or press enter on the KB, so I don't get any display on my monitor), and also display corruptions in iTunes after I play a video clip on full screen ( goes away after I refresh the screen).