help with wiring in bathroom exhaust fan replace

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'm replacing the light/exhaust fan fixture in our bathroom.
The old unit was controlled by separate light and fan switches on the wall and I'd like the new unit to be the same.
The wiring coming out of the celling for the old fan is white/black/white/green.

The new fixture has 5 wires:
green - ground, that's an easy match)
pair of white/black - I assume that's a direct match (this is labeled as "fan" on the new fixture)
pair of white/blue - I assume this is the same as white/red pairing? (this is labeled as "light" on the new fixture)

green goes to green
the two whites go to the ceiling white (3 wires in 1 nut)
black goes to black
blue goes to red

Is that right?!!??
I hate wiring...

thanks in advance!

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
You didn't mention a red coming out of the ceiling, so my guess is one of the whites is actually being used as a hot. You need to check that with a voltage tester.

Edit: Reading this again it looks you made a mistake identifying the house wiring. It looks like you have black, red, white, and green. Is that correct? If so, your wiring description is correct.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You didn't mention a red coming out of the ceiling, so my guess is one of the whites is actually being used as a hot. You need to check that with a voltage tester.

Edit: Reading this again it looks you made a mistake identifying the house wiring. It looks like you have black, red, white, and green. Is that correct? If so, your wiring description is correct.

Yes, it's black white red green coming from ceiling

So basically match the colors up and red goes to blue?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Yes, it's black white red green coming from ceiling

So basically match the colors up and red goes to blue?
That's correct. Though if you have a voltage tester it would be worth checking. Sometimes people do some strange things with color coding.

Reactions: Homerboy

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
That's correct. Though if you have a voltage tester it would be worth checking. Sometimes people do some strange things with color coding.
Thanks man!

The hardest part here is I have no access to the space above. It's a damn tight fit and of course exhaust is on opposite side. Can't really get anchor screws into joist... Ugh.

Shoulders are NOT in shape to do this overhead work very long.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Thanks man!

The hardest part here is I have no access to the space above. It's a damn tight fit and of course exhaust is on opposite side. Can't really get anchor screws into joist... Ugh.

Shoulders are NOT in shape to do this overhead work very long.
You may end up having to cut a good sized hole in the ceiling to make the vent connection. You don't want moist bathroom air blowing into the attic or floor system above, you'll get mold.

Btw. I hear you on the shoulder issue. I have arthritis and frozen shoulder, in the same shoulder.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
You got it all right. All the Whites go together - those are the Neutral return lines. The Greens go together - Grounds, as you say. The only question is getting the functions of the two Hot lines - light and fan - right. If you know which of those feeds the FAN motor of the old one, then that line feeds the Black maked "Fan" on the new fixture. Etc, for feeding the new Blue LIGHT part. When done, and before closing up entirely, test each switch to be sure it controls the right item.