Help with wireless key/mouse problems

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
I've emailed logitech support but they have not responded.

I bought a MK520 wireless mouse/key combo, my first wireless key/mouse and I am less than happy about it.

It came with brand new Duracell's and 95% of the time the mouse/keyboard works fine.

However, occasionally it is nearly unusable. The mouse cursor will glitch, freeze, stop and go, or move at the last second when I go to click something. Keyboard sometimes lags and I can type an entire sentence before anything starts showing on the screen, then usually the first or second characters I typed aren't even there, never registered. Sometimes I'll type a word and it's 10-20 seconds before the word actually types on the screen.

I cannot work like this, I either need to return it or fix it. Is this typical of these wireless mouse/keyboards? I mean if it is I'll just buy a wired set, but my desire was to eliminated some wires from the spaghetti mess behind my desk.

The tower is only 3ft or less from the mouse/keyboard. Any help would be appreciated.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I would put hardwired devices in place to confirm it's truly a problem with the wireless devices before condemning them.

I say that because I often get lag just like you described when opening a browser to multiple tabs. This laptop has plenty of ram but the processor is wimpy and I've always chalked it up to that.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I have found that keeping metallic objects in very ( glasses with metal frames ) close proximity to the mouse will affect its stability, however the kb is not affected. Try moving the receiver to a different port.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
You could try a different version of the SetPoint driver/software. Maybe newer (if you're not already using the newest) or older.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
I guess I should have mentioned this is a brand new set with the latest drivers on Windows 10 and the mouse/keyboard I had plugged in before had no such issues.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
I would put hardwired devices in place to confirm it's truly a problem with the wireless devices before condemning them.

I say that because I often get lag just like you described when opening a browser to multiple tabs. This laptop has plenty of ram but the processor is wimpy and I've always chalked it up to that.

It's a wimpy processor (Athlon 5350 quad core overclocked to 2.46) but this is more than lag, I mean when I type a sentence, sometimes it's 20 seconds before anything shows up on the screen and then there are characters missing so I have to retype it. Although most of the time like right now, it works perfectly. I've had this computer for 6 months and never had any such problems with a wired key/mouse.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Try an older driver. I've had trouble with Logitech wired mice, lag, and newer drivers. Older driver fixed it.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Even try removing the Logitech software. But interference is my top guess.

Also, you mentioned that the tower is 3 feet or less from the mouse/keyboard, but where on the tower is the receiver? If it is plugged into a USB port on the back, try one or the front. If it's plugged into a port from a third-party chip (VIA, for example), try one from the AMD chip.

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
Yesterday tech support had me download pairing software, I ran it but it would fail every time, even though they both appear to be paired already under "advanced".

So Today after they advised me to return it, I decided to run it again and this time unpair each of them and then run the pairing software. This froze my computer twice, couldn't even cntrl/alt/del out, had to restart the computer both times. Then when it rebooted I had no mouse or keyboard. So I turned off mouse/keyboard, moved receiver to a different usb port (front this time) and rebooted the computer. When the computer booted I turned on the mouse then the keyboard, still nothing. Rebooted again with the mouse/keyboard on. Still no mouse keyboard upon boot.
I Was unable to ever get either of them to work again. I am now using my old wired keyboard and mouse and returning this one.

Is this typical with them, I mean should I try another model? Maybe a Microsoft?

Do you think this is a problem with my computer?

Last edited:

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
Ok so I sent it back and ordered a microsoft key/mouse combo. I'll let you guys know what happens if any one cares.