Help with wattage calculations.

dnut_00

Nov 20, 2013
Hi.

As I've been contemplating several variations to my build, I've came to conclusion that my wattage calculations should be revised.

This is the result as provided by pcpartpicker.com

XwjrMOD.png

but this ASUS Power Calculator gets me into 600W from the get go.

I was considering this:

SeaSonic SSP-650RT

WDYT?

dnut_00

Nov 20, 2013
That's what I thought.

If you don't mind me asking - why is your PSU better?

Also, do I even need 650W? The build is listed at 425W. Will this increase under load and "burn" 550W PSU? Or is the 425W the max already (it seems from the table that it is)?

Last edited:

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
That's what I thought.

If you don't mind me asking - why is your PSU better?

It's rated at an operating temperature up to 50C, and was well reviewed by jonnyguru.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=323

In comparison, the OEM unit doesn't specify the operating temperature. Instead, it just indicates a MTBF calculation based on a 25C ambient temperature.

Also, do I even need 650W? The build is listed at 425W. Will this increase under load and "burn" 550W PSU? Or is the 425W the max already (it seems from the table that it is)?

That 425W number is a maximum that assumes every single component will be running at 100% power draw. The chances of this happening in real life will be very close to zero. The 550W unit will give you some headroom in the event that you want to upgrade.

Last edited:

dnut_00

Nov 20, 2013
I have a possible bundle for FD Define R4 + FSP Aurum 700W Gold for equivalent of about $180 (doing some currency exchange here).

I think that would be better, no?

dnut_00

Nov 20, 2013
No, as in - not better for that price or no, that PSU sucks (which I am pretty certain it does not)?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I don't think the Aurum is a junk power supply, but given its price, it's outclassed by the Seasonic G-650. The Seasonic has better voltage regulation, better ripple/noise suppression, and better build quality (better soldering, better capacitor choices in the secondary section, where it counts---instead of Chinese caps used by FSP in the Aurum, the Seasonic uses all Japanese caps, etc.)

I'd pay the little extra for the Seasonic.

Johnny4

Nov 12, 2013
First convert milliamps into amps mA / 1000
Now multiply amps with volts A x V this will give your answer in watts

Power = Amps x Volts