Help with switch on an old case

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003
I acquired an old tower from a friend, which came with an AT psu and has a nice big on/off switch on the front. Problem is, the switch has to be hooked up to the power supply, not the mobo. My new ATX psu of course doesn't have the necessary wires (four wires with tab/sleeve connectors) to rig it up. Enter the Anandtechers. Any ideas? I don't really want to have to unplug my comp or hit the surge protector every time I want to turn it off. I could rig the turbo switch (yes, it's that old. nice, huh?) to be the on/off switch, but that's not what I want.
It's late right now, so I apologize for being incoherent or leaving out important info. I can give further details on the tower or psu if necessary, so ask away.

Good night to all

hcarlson

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2001
So you want to use your ATX PSU on an AT motherboard but the ATX PSU has no switch, right? Is that even possible? I always wondered what that extra plug coming from atx psus was, is that actually an AT connector?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Welcome to the forums NiteWulf :D If the case has an AT power supply, it could be an AT-format case, which would call for some hacking if you intend to use an ATX motherboard in it.

If the case and board are both ATX and the power switch is the only problem, just run down to Radio Shack or so forth, and pick up a momentary-contact switch of any type, and scavenge the pigtail off your existing ATX power switch and hook it up. Press the switch, momentary contact is made and the mobo wakes up.

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003
Well, don't worry about the mobo, because it's ATX and a couple of the screw holes line up nicely. The problem is, the power supply doesn't have a switch. I want some way of hooking the tower switch to the mobo or the psu. Does anyone sell wires with the proper connector to the mobo? If so, I could just snip and solder. MechBgon had the right idea with the momentary switch, but that little connector is basically what's stopping me. I don't exactly want to hack the wire off of my case fan, either.

Oh yeah-does anyone know what that extra connector from the power supply is? I don't know of anything that has four pins in a square.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I bet you could find a suitable 2-pin wire and plug for your switch at Radio Shack or so on. The 4-in-a-square connector is used by some motherboards, usually Pentium4 models, to provide two extra +12V and two extra ground lines to the power circuitry on the motherboard.