Help with strange internet access problem

mm2531

Aug 27, 2015
Please help this old guy with limited technical knowledge.

I have a Sony all in one desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium running on it. Everything was working perfectly until I decided to upgrade to Windows 10. Turns out that Sony (who quit making PCs), has not updated drivers and I was having issues, so decided to go back to Windows 7. Windows 10 gives one the opportunity to go back for one month, and I decided to use it. Took 5 minutes, and everything looked fine. Only issue was Google Drive telling me that it cannot find the folder on my computer. Checked Google Drive on the web, and all my files were still there (thank god!).

First problem - brought up Firefox, and it came up in a strange language. Can't tell, but it could be Korean? Uninstalled it and thought reinstalling would fix the problem. Brought up IE to download the Firefox setup files, but IE just hangs, or shuts down. Went to my laptop, downloaded the Firefox setup file, put it in my NAS and used that to install on the Sony. Still a foreign language, but definitely getting to the Internet.

Uninstalled, downloaded an English language setup, tried again - same problem. Checked "about:configure" and Settings - everything pointing to US English. Made sure that region setting in control panel was correct - it was.

Ok, let's try Chrome. Chrome hangs, and cannot get to Internet. Soon it became clear that nothing is getting to the internet EXCEPT Firefox, albeit in a different language.

Googled and tried various things. Reset Winsock. Checked registry to make sure no proxies were not set. Checked to make sure no proxy servers were being used. Checked device manager to make sure there were no driver issues.

I am at a loss. I do not use the Sony very much, so nothing has changed since I installed Win 10. I can restore back to factory settings, but I am desperately trying to avoid that as I will have to reinstall all my software (and probably have new headaches).

By the way, I am using wireless internet access, and my Sony has an Atheros adapter.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks. MM.

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
Not sure about that limited knowledge statement :) here's some stuff to try:

1) Try making a new account - maybe your profile is screwed up.

2) Check your System Restore - and see if have some restore points made before the Win10 upgrade.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Try

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/windows_file_and_folder_diag/en-ca

mm2531

Aug 27, 2015
How about from a command prompt? can you ping google.com?

Yes, I can ping google.com. My malware program also had no problem updating its files, so the Internet is definitely accessible. Firefox also does fine, although I can't read the webpages since the display is in another language.

mm2531

Aug 27, 2015
You could try firefox portable for a temp solution to the language problem
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

The mystery deepens!

Installed Firefox Portable on an USB drive. Plugged into my laptop - works perfectly in English. Plugged into my very troubled Sony desktop - works, but pages are displayed in what appears to be the same foreign language!

Please keep the ideas coming. Obviously something Windows 10 did when I downgraded back to Windows 7 makes Firefox behave this way, and also keeps IE and chrome from getting to the Internet.

mm2531

Aug 27, 2015
That is VERY strange.

I like KillerBee's suggestion of making a new user account. Install Firefox in that account and see what happens.

Another thing to try is your FF profile. You can add and remove FF all day long, but your profile settings will stay until you manually remove them or get rid of the profile.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

I created a new account. Firefox was already available - ran it, and same problem.

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
Well on the good side - doing a fresh OEM reinstall and it will be running as good as day 1 :)

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
I like your determination - keep working on it

edit - I take DISM didn't work either?

Last edited:

mm2531

Aug 27, 2015
Here is how the left side of msn.com looks like. Some English, and the rest could be English that is typing over itself??

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B867oSiLbcUEMnZNcE5qZE1BNFk/view?usp=sharing
view

mm2531

Aug 27, 2015

Will try it now. It says it will take a while, so I was waiting to try the other things. Will report back.

Thanks for trying to help, everyone.

mm2531

Aug 27, 2015
That is VERY strange.

I like KillerBee's suggestion of making a new user account. Install Firefox in that account and see what happens.

Another thing to try is your FF profile. You can add and remove FF all day long, but your profile settings will stay until you manually remove them or get rid of the profile.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Went to the profile editor - had to follow along on a laptop at the same time since I could not read the screen on the desktop. Created a new profile - still the same results.

Deleted the profiles, uninstalled Firefox, deleted all entries related to Mozzilla in the Registry, and installed Firefox again. Still the same hieroglyphics (see link to part of the screen above).

mm2531

Aug 27, 2015

Ran SFC /scannow in safe mode. Said it found some corrupt files it could not repair. Then tried running DISM restorehealth, but it looks like that command is not valid in Windows 7. Did run DISM scanhealth command, and here are the results:

Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.18741
2015-08-27 22:40

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~11.2.9412.0.mum does not match the actual file name
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~11.2.9412.0.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 132
Found 2 errors
CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 2

Unavailable repair files:
servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum
servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum
servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.cat
servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.cat

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
find yourwindows 7 dvd, boot from it and do repair.

dism / online /restorehealth should fetch whateverfile you need from ms

Last edited:

mm2531

Aug 27, 2015
try uninstalling the video driver and installing again.

Thanks. I will try it, but I don't think it will make a difference since Chrome and IE come up properly in English (although they can't access the internet).

Still have not seen any suggestions to the problem of no internet access for IE and Chrome.