Help with Retail Processor. PLEASE HELP QUICK

Athlonin

Nov 23, 2001
Hi everyone. I am trying to build my first system. I got a retail athlon XP 1600+. I'm trying to follow the directions that AMD gives and it says peel off a plactic piece that is covering this pink phase change material on the heatsink. My heatsink doesn't seem to have any covering over the phase change material. PLEASE help me. I really an unsure what to do. THANKS in advance.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
I've seen a couple people that have been finding that there is not a plastic cover where there should be.

as long as you are SURE you don't see it (or feel it on there), then you would just put the HSF right on the cpu, and don't worry about it

of course, the best thing you could do would be to scrape it off and use some arctic silver II thermal grease...but the stock HSF and pad should work ok as long as you're not planning on overlcocking.

Pederv

Golden Member
May 13, 2000
If you can get some of the goop under your fingernail then the plastic covering is not there and you can go ahead and install. Some would suggest removing the goop and putting som Artic Silver on, but I bet you're anxious to get your system up and don't want to wait for Artic Silver.

MidiGuy

Jan 14, 2001
I was just comming to this board to ask this very same question. I've also got a AthlonXP 1600+ retail that doesn't seem to have a sticker over the pad on the heatsink. I've posted a (somewhat fuzzy) picture here. I haven't taken it out of the plastic container yet. I'm glad to hear that it's ok to use it anyway. Is that for sure, or could the compound have dried up or something (this is my first time doing this...)?

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000

<< I was just comming to this board to ask this very same question. I've also got a AthlonXP 1600+ retail that doesn't seem to have a sticker over the pad on the heatsink. I've posted a (somewhat fuzzy) picture <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/combadge_1/lst?.dir=/AthlonXP+1600%2b+Heatsink&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/combadge_1/lst%3f.dir=/AthlonXP%2b1600%252b%2bHeatsink%26.src=ph%26.view=t" target=blank>here</A>. I haven't taken it out of the plastic container yet. I'm glad to hear that it's ok to use it anyway. Is that for sure, or could the compound have dried up or something (this is my first time doing this...)? >>

the retail should be fine...the compound is somewhat sticky and firm, and should work fine since it's AMD approved.

entropy5150

Nov 29, 2001
I just built a system with a retail XP 1600. The compound had no tape on it. I could tell because it was sort of sticky. If there were tape it would not be so sticky. Anyhow, just installed the heat sink/fan, and have been running at around 40C on an Epox 8KHA+.

Good luck!