Help with processor upgrade on a Narra3 Motherboard

Dizzynatnat

Oct 27, 2011
Hi all,
I need to upgrade my processor but i dont know what will be compatible with my motherboard. I will list you some details of my system and the couple of processors ive been looking at and hopefully someone can give me some advice!

I play online games and have already upgraded my graphics card and hard drives to SSD drives but i find my processor to be kinda slow overall and its time for a new one!

I have aroud £110 to £150 to spend and ive find out i wont be able to get the Intel Core i5 as my motherboard supports AMD.
I have been looking at these processors but i think theres a compatibiltiy problem with 1 of them as its an AM3 not an AM2?

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
AMD Phenom II X4 980

Heres my sytem info -
HP - Pavilion FL230AA-ABU a62525.uk
Windows Vista
2.40GHZ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
Pegatron Corp Narra3 3.02

Thanks for you time all!
Hope someone can help real soon!
Dizzy x

Last edited:

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Yeah, pretty sure that's an AM2, you'll only be able to use AM2 processors. AM3 processors will not fit.

For gaming, a faster x4 should work better for you than a slower x6 anyway.
Most games that use more than 2 cores are not able to load the 3rd, 4th (5th, 6th...) core very heavily. Better to have 3-4 fast cores so the 2 cores that will be heavily loaded can do more work.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
You are mistaken, Concillian. You can use a socket AM3 CPU in a socket AM2/AM2+ motherboard if the BIOS supports it.
I'd check and see if there's a BIOS update from HP and if there is, see if it adds support for AM3 processors.

Dizzynatnat

Oct 27, 2011
Okay so im a bit lost now...
ive been looking up the system information and have seen that it is an am2+ which means i can have an am3 processor.
But now im confused about the maximum watt i can have and which am3 processors i can have.
Not only that, ive tried searching for a BIOS apdate and there isnt any, so how do i know if my BIOS can accept the AM3 processor?
Im going to copy and paste the information from HP about my motherboard and processor below...
motherboard - M2N68-LA Narra3 Socket type: AM2+
Manufacturer: Asus

Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)

Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Memory sockets: 4 x DDR2

Front side bus speeds: 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)

Processor socket: AM2+

Expansion Slots:
  • 1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
  • 2 PCI Express x1 slots
  • 1 PCI slot
Current Processor - AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4600+

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
  • Phenom with Quad Core (Agena) technology (AM2+) up to 9600 (up to 95 watt)
  • Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology X2 up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
  • Athlon 64 less than 4000+
  • Sempron less than 3800+
If someone could give me a list of a couple of options for upgrades for around the £150 mark that would great!
Also, id be really greatful if someone could explain how to double check my BOIS will accept the AM3 processor too!

Thanks for everyones replies so far!
Dizzy x

dougw18

Apr 24, 2012
In regards to your AMD Processor the Mother board is only rated for upto an 89 watt ratted processor so any AMD AM2 socket Processor that is rated below this spec would work or you. You would really want to consider the thermals when exceeding this specification:) check the amd home page and get the list of processor specs

Last edited:

dougw18

Apr 24, 2012
Because the socket allows for some AM3 Processors that exceed the Watage of the board you should consider water cooling of processor as well as chipset although Nvidia chip set are pretty hardy heat sink ram at bear minimum