Help with pin assignment on new cruncher, edit: solved

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
The on going saga of the dual p3 slot 1 bare motherboard. (or everything takes longer than you planned)

The hard drive comes today, so the only hurdle left is the cpu fan wiring harness. These P3 fans have a three pin connector on them instead of the usual hardwired fan wiring w/MB socket. And without the actual harnesses that came with the units I have to jury-rig something. The motherboard has the standard three pin connector. I know the pin outs on the motherboard, but the cpu fan socket (male) has no indication of pin sequence. But it is a keyed socket so sequence seems important. The center pin is the 12v pin on both I am sure, but I can?t tell which is neutral?????

If anyone is running a P3 Slot 1 with this type cpu cooling fan, I would appreciate it if you would look and tell me which pin gets the black wire. (ground) There should be a small keyed female socket connecting to the cpu fan, wires should be black, red, yellow (or some other color).

This is my first one, not enough for a rack yet, but give me time...............................:p

Thanks?????

Edit:
I found one connector at a used parts shop and can make the second now that I know the pin outs. Good thing too because they are not wired intuitively alike. For instance: pin 2 on the fan connector goes to pin 1 on the motherboard connector. :confused: