Help with OC'ing TB 700 on ASUS A7V

kosnsuz

Sep 7, 2000
Did I screw up in thinking overclocking a TB is better than OC'ing a Duron (in that only the Duron can be overclocked)?

I have a TB 700 and an ASUS A7V motherboard. The system is FAST set at its normal 7x multiplier. I have seen definite improvements in Diablo2. No doubt. I can join games and switch acts in 1-2 seconds when they *were* taking up to 15 seconds. All the in-game lag has gone. But that is certainly partially attributed to the new 7200rpm HD and going from 96mb PC100 RAM to 256 PC133 RAM...

Ok. So in Tom's Hardware they say where they used the A7V to overclock a 700 Duron to 950. My 700 TB has all the L1 pins properly presoldered and the appropriate dipswitches are on the motherboard. When I set the multiplier to 8.5x the video doesnt even come on when powered on. I have to power it off. When set to 8x it boots up but hangs shortly after RAM count. And even at 7.5x I only get to the Windows Splash screen (with the rolling image
at the bottom) and it hangs. What the hell am I doing wrong? Pardon my OC ill-maturity, but I need some assistance. Any suggestions from you OC vets?

I have adequate fanage (thermaltake gold orb, 2 80mm case fans, dual fan 350w ps, and videocard exhaust fan) and the ASUS monitor shows the temp way below the default warning bar (at 7x mult) - 31*C. Am I suppose to change any other jumpers when I change the multiplier? Help?

Thanks in advance,
G

paulip88

Aug 15, 2000
Just to get this out of the way, I've tried OCing my roommate's unlocked Tbird 700 on my A7V using an Alpha PAL6035 and was only able to get it to 800 (or was it 850?) stable.

If you can't get it to run stable, you shoudl try upping the core voltage. The A7V lets you jack it up to 1.85, so you shoudl take advantage of that. This can be done in the BIOS, but for me I've had better success when I did not use the JumperFree mode. Don't know why this seems to work better, but it does. Try that out, and hope it works.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Yes crank up the volts to 1.85 my tbird is running great at 928 never crashes im running my fsb at 103 and the multiplier is at 9 and volts at 1.85 im on a A7v with a alpha PEP66 cooling that bad boy down also i have a Tornado 2000 case that helps alot to keep the temps low well low for a overclocked t-bird so crank up the volts and Good Luck