help with OC (got it stable at 3.5, ty!)

Huskerwr3882

Mar 19, 2009
I'm relatively new at OC, but I've been reading guides and forums trying to find out how to do this properly. But most of the guides and forum stuff are about clocking it to extreme speeds up to 4ghz, but I just want it around 3.6ghz or so.
Here are my specs:
i7 920
Gskill 6GB ddr3 1600 1.5v-1.6v 9-9-9-24
MSI X58 Pro MB

So I gave it a shot and turned up my Bclk to 175x20 (3500) vcore was at 1.12 (this was set at auto) with everything else auto settings as well. I used Prime95 last night before I went to bed and watched it for 15 mins, which everything was good. Idle temps=avg 35c, load temps=55c. So I woke up this morning with the blue screen. So obviously it's not stable. I was thinking, maybe my screen saver messed it up? Should I disable everything in windows, screen saver, auto log off, power saver settings, etc when I run prime95?

Also, I'm getting confused on which settings to change from auto. I heard never leave your vcore, qpi, pll, dram settings on auto when you overclock. I have no idea what to change these to. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Huskerwr3882

Mar 19, 2009
I have read that post. I guess the whole thing for me would be is that I just have been reading a lot and I'm getting mixed up. I'm not sure if I should keep things on auto as far as voltages go. So if I want to keep the voltages stock, what do I do, keep them on auto?

Also, I'm not exactly sure how to run Prime95. I've read that to run the blend toture test, but do I run 8 torture test threads? Thanks in advance

palladium

Dec 24, 2007
I don't have your specific board, but on my board, I only set a few voltages manually ( the rest are on auto) : Vcore, QPI/Vtt, DRAM and maybe CPU PLL and NB voltage if you're aiming high. I increased QPI two notches above stock ( but within Intel's limits), the other voltages are set to stock values.

It is unlikely you can get a 3.5GHz stable chip at 1.12Vcore. Mine is running at 165*21 and I need 1.18 to be stable. Try increasing your Vcore to ~1.2 or so. As long as you dont go over 1.3V you're very safe. If you do increase your PLL, make sure it's within .5V of your DRAM voltage, else you'll run into trouble.

Some people do P95 in 2 stages: one small FFT session ( to check for CPU stability) and one large FFT ( to check for NB/RAM). Not sure what the expert's recommendations are, but there you go..

Huskerwr3882

Mar 19, 2009
Thanks for your feed back guys. I was able to get things figured out and have appeared to find stable settings. I have the cpu multiplier at 175x20, 1.16Vcore, and QPI at stock settings (I just have it set a 0.00 instead of auto) QPI multiplier at 18, Uncore Multiplier at 16, and RAM Multiplier at 8. Those are the only settings I have changed. I have been running on prime95 for about 8 hours now and max temps have been about 60c with an avg of 57c or so. I'll post screens later. Thanks.

harbin

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2005
indeed very good Vcore. This mobo can handle Bclock to 215 with HT off. But you really need to fine tune your RAM settings after reaching 1600Mhz, I've seen people have 2000Mhz memory freq. I like my x58 pro a lot.

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Huskerwr3882
Here are my stats after running prime95 for 12 hours or so.

3.5 under load

Funny, my latest i7 has a vid of 1.25 and it shows up as a 115w item under HWMonitor Pro. Stepping is C1/C0...strange.

You have a great chip there.