Help With My Build

ksmith9226

Jan 26, 2013
Hello I am new to this and I am looking to build a HTPC. After looking at several guides I came up with some components but not sure if I am going in the right direction and am looking for any insight and advice. My unit will be used to stream movies, and perhaps some light gaming. I am thinking of running XMBC with it, and am leaning on having Apple TV in separate rooms non that will be ran at the same time.

Here is a link to my build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AlkU

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S524 77.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Intel 330 Series 60GB 2.5" SSD
Case: Silverstone GD04B HTPC Case
LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80 PLUS

I am not sure of a good motherboard to use, or if this setup is more than what is needed. Any advice would be welcomed.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
For an htpc, I think you could shave a few bucks and just use the intel cooler. I'm just using stock on both my units and they're quiet enough for me. Also, the heatsinks on the ripjaws might be too big, it'll depend on your case layout and far back the components go towards the mobo. I just went with a cheap pair of gskill 2gb sticks with no crazy heatsinks on them on one build, and the Samsung low profile memory from Amazon. No problems whatsoever.

Are you OCing your cpu at all? IIRC if you aren't OCing, an h61 chipset will do for htpc, otherwise if you plan on OCing, go with an h67. Not 100% though. Someone else can chime in on this part. I don't OC so I just have h61 chipsets.

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
Agree about using the Intel stock cooler. Its great for HTPC and that case has excellent cooling.

I like the H77 motherboards as a good solid option for HTPC. The H61 is an okay choice but imo there is no reason to go with the H61 anymore when the B75 is roughly the same price with better specs (its this generation's "H61 equivalent")

ksmith9226

Jan 26, 2013
Agree about using the Intel stock cooler. Its great for HTPC and that case has excellent cooling.

I like the H77 motherboards as a good solid option for HTPC. The H61 is an okay choice but imo there is no reason to go with the H61 anymore when the B75 is roughly the same price with better specs (its this generation's "H61 equivalent")

Thank you, I tried to follow much of your hardware guide, and was not sure how or where I veered off. I will go back to the drawing board and take your advice and that of thestrangebrew as well.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011

My bad, I actually forgot about B75 lol.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
The Gigabyte B75M-D3H is a good HTPC board.... although you can probably find another board less expensive. I like Giga boards...

I would just stick with the stock Intel cooler... they are fine.

I would also find another RAM... low profile like the Samsung or G.Skill

Also... 500W PSU is overkill... even something like this Corsair CX430 is overkill but a good value on sale...

ksmith9226

Jan 26, 2013
I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice, and I think I have gotten it pretty much as you guys have suggested. So far I have came up with this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Aqgm

If this looks like a decent setup my only debate now is with the case. I am trying to figure which is better, the

Silverstone GD04B HTPC Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%20HTPC%20Case

or a

nMEDIAPC HTPC 7000B http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811204042

The Silverstone is more expensive but I am told it might have a conflict because it does not have front USB 3.0 and the motherboard has front USB 3.0 headers. It came up as a minor conflict and I am not sure which direction to move in. Thanks so much.

weez82

Jan 6, 2011
The Silverstone is more expensive but I am told it might have a conflict because it does not have front USB 3.0 and the motherboard has front USB 3.0 headers. It came up as a minor conflict and I am not sure which direction to move in. Thanks so much.

Both cases you linked have front usb 3.0 ports