Question Help with moving tips for a desktop

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Don't know quite where else this could go...

Given the option to have your movers move your desktop (components all removed and individually properly protected) or taking it yourself by finding a way to squeeze it into your car, which of the two would you choose.
If taking it yourself, I imagine the common wisdom would be to also remove all mobo components (GPU, RAM, CPU cooler, PCI cards, etc).

The reason for the concern is that while we do have proper professional movers taking everything else (3 hours away to another city) we do have a car we'll take some stuff in but our car is small. Meaning it will take up the trunk to leave the desktop and a box of its components next to it. Back seat already carrying our two cats.

Thoughts?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I think two cats and a desktop can fit in even a small back seat. Only take out heavy components causing leveraged stress like a tall CPU 'sink or big/gaming video card.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I'd put my custom desktop in it's original Fractal Design box, in the car. I have a very heavy heatsink, so I'd remove it (maybe). I'd let the movers take all the monitors, in their original boxes.

You didn't keep any of the boxes? Lesson learned. They are also a must to have for warranty replacments.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When we moved from CA to WA 10 years ago, I used a piece of wire to stabilize the heavy Noctua cpu cooler, put the PC back into the CoolerMaster case box (complete with the original styrofoam) and away we went. No problems at all.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would definitely take it yourself. Movers will be tossing it around a lot more than you would. I would also not worry so much about removing RAM, hard drives, and PCI/PCIe cards, but I would remove any large CPU heatsinks (large towers, etc.), and any 2 slot or larger GPU (unless your case has additional bracing for GPU cards to stabilize them). Most other items would probably be safe (however it really does depend on your case, so if something feels like it can easily move around, then I would consider strapping it in better with zip-ties/velcro/foam blocks or removing it). And obviously if you have water cooling, drain the system and you will need to run a pressure test again when setting it back up to ensure nothing came loose during the move).

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I shipped a box to a customer in Portland Oregon in 2008. I left everything intact. That included the video card, ram and Thermalright TRUE. I used foam and air pillows that I stuffed between everything. Only problem was the ram needed to be reseated before it would boot. Guess I got lucky. Such a long time ago. I was a small system builder. Didn't have any infrastructure for shipping. All my business was local. Met a guy who contacted me once he got back home to Portland and wanted me to build him a custom rig.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I would take out the vid card and anything in the PCI-e slots. If you have an air cooler with a heavy heat-sink, I would take that out too if someone else is moving my machine. If I move it myself I make sure it is laying down and level in the back seat or something, but make sure and re-seat everything before first boot up just to make sure and you can clean all of the components of dust while you are at it. But that's just me.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
lay the case down so the components are sitting like how they would in a server rack.
Meaning the board should be flat horizontal, and the GPU should not be hanging .
The heat sink should be securely mounted and the weight should be resting ontop of the board as well in this layout.

This way the only real damage that could happen is IF you had to slam your breaks or you got into a collision that caused your PC to fly sideways and hit something. Or you have a TESLA Model S PLAD or a RIMAC Nevera which can pull acceleration of greater then 1G in launch.