help with M.2 on Asus Z170-E mobo

t4d

Nov 17, 2018
I'm new to this forum and therefore this is my first post.

Please advise about using a Samsung 970 EVO in the M.2 socket on my mobo, which is an Asus Z170-E. Before I purchase the 970 EVO, I'd like to make sure that the M.2 socket on the mobo has enough lanes to take full advantage of the speed of the SSD. I have contacted Asus support but have had three different responses from 3 different support personnel, and now I am confused about the actual capability of the M.2 socket on the mobo.

So, hopefully someone out there has actual hands-on with the Asus Z170-E and can help.

How many lanes are available, and are they enough to utiilize the full speed potential of the Samsung 970 EVO?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Before I purchase the 970 EVO, I'd like to make sure that the M.2 socket on the mobo has enough lanes to take full advantage of the speed of the SSD.

How many lanes are available, and are they enough to utiilize the full speed potential of the Samsung 970 EVO?

It does. It has PCIe 3.0 x4, which is the fastest M.2 slot available right now.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-E/overview/

With x4 PCI Express 3.0/2.0 bandwidth, M.2 supports up to 32Gbit/s data-transfer speeds.

t4d

Nov 17, 2018
wow........thanks for the super quick response........I followed the link that you sent, and there it was!!

Asus support not very helpful..........thanks again UsandThem........much appreciated

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
wow........thanks for the super quick response........I followed the link that you sent, and there it was!!

Asus support not very helpful..........thanks again UsandThem........much appreciated

No problem.

If you want to learn what all the M2 terms are, here's a quick and dirty article explaining what things like what the different keys, numbers, and bandwidth all mean. There are all a lot longer and more detailed technical articles out there, but this one is probably enough info for most people.

https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3