Help with low cost option of replacing shot Shuttle SB83G5 using some parts

Matt_Stevens

Dec 17, 2009
OK, folks. I have a Shuttle XPC SB83G5 that fails to post 9 times out of 10. All installed hardware, memory, drives, vid card, power supply, etc. have been ruled out of the problem. I have trouble-shooted this thing since Summer and am just going to sell the bare-bones along with CPU installed and a 1 gig stick of ram, along with original case.

What I would like to do is find another Shuttle out there that is mostly stripped, but with the CPU installed and has a PCI-Express slot on the MB so I can slap my NVIDIA GeForce 6800 256 MB in. I have plenty of spare DVD drives and HD's just laying around. I also have a spare stick of 1gig Ram that was used with the Shuttle ("PSD1G400K; 1 GB PC3200 CL2.5" is on the module).

Problem is, I am no computer expert. Not any more. :\ I haven't built a system in about eight years. My shuttles were built for me. So I am not sure what I can get. I do see that the Shuttles on eBay are either recent and therefore expensive, or way older than my Shuttle (built January 2006) and more like cira 2003 or 2004 and have AGP slots, no PCI Express.

Basically, I am asking for advice. This is a computer that must be small, preferably a Shuttle, so I can bring it with me on a plane to Vietnam mid-January. Yup, you read that right. I want to give the system to my wife's parents, who live in Saigon and have a PC that barely works and is over a decade old.

Where should I look other than eBay and what should I be looking at. I am a fast learner, so please, lay it on me.

Of course, if I could find a reliable Shuttle that was already built for for under $130 shipped, I would just snag it and save myself the hassle. But it has to be reliable. I don't want to take a chance on a machine that is not tested with an OS and find I dropped a hundred clams on a paper weight. Can't afford it.

Thanks!

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Shuttles are cute but expensive.

These are your options...
A. Raise your budget
B. Think about a different (more standardized) PC.

Matt_Stevens

Dec 17, 2009
Well, I am looking to buy used or refurbished, not new. And it needs to be small. I may just be ship out of port, as it were.

Last edited:

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Even used, people know what they're selling. They know how rare the Shuttle units are.
You might try searching the For Sale/Trade forum to see if someone there is selling any Shuttle PCs.

Matt_Stevens

Dec 17, 2009
Plenty on eBay, but all AGP for video. I'm actually biding on one now, but will likely lose. If I win, I can slap in one of my drives and it'll be cool.

Lots of refurb Dell's on eBay in my price range, but they are a bit big. The beauty of a Shuttle is that I can stick it in a Shuttle carry-case and bring it on an airplane as my personal item. I really don't want to put a PC in my luggage and have it tossed around all the way to Vietnam. That's a scary thought.

Hence, my hopes for a Shuttle. :)

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
OK, folks. I have a Shuttle XPC SB83G5 that fails to post 9 times out of 10. All installed hardware, memory, drives, vid card, power supply, etc. have been ruled out of the problem. I have trouble-shooted this thing since Summer and am just going to sell the bare-bones along with CPU installed and a 1 gig stick of ram, along with original case.

have you tested the drive cables & the battery ? i had a similar system (AMS G-Box) - pic -

http://www.kle-law.com/little blue.jpg

it turned out the cables were wonky.

Matt_Stevens

Dec 17, 2009
I think a capacitor is bad. There is one that looks a tiny bit swollen. This morning I talked to a guy who refurbishes older systems and he has seen numerous Shuttles from 2003 to 2005 era with MB's that died due to capacitors that were blown.

The CPU is still fine. It's P4 3.2GHz so I'll likely try and sell the case with it. Someone can make use of it, I am sure.

By the way, I like your case. Always have loved cases like that.