Help with Life Ins. Nicotine test

aw

Jul 11, 2000
I know weird question, but I am purchasing life insurance and the premiums for smokers are almost double that for non smokers. I don't consider myself a serious smoker, but I might have one or two a week and if I go out on the weekend mabe 10 total. Obviously I am a casual smoker. Unfortunately I think they test for nicotine at my life ins physical. Since I smoke so little and it has been 10 days since I smoked, should I be worried. Does annyone know a good way to flush out the nicotine from my system before the test. I think I have to take a blood and urine test.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
i know its not the answer you want but how about you stop smoking? :)
but anyways, good luck to ya

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Regardless of what you want to believe, you are a smoker, and will probably get nailed for it.

As far as passing the test, I dunno, but instead of whining, you should stop smoking.

vash

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2001
You're screwed. There is nothing you can do to remove nicotine from your blood or urine. Might as well smoke 'em up! I'm sure you told them you were a non smoker for the life insurance, that certainly won't help your rates.

vash

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Depending on the type of test, you may have to go cold turkey for 3-5 years.
Nicotine is linke a drug and it gets into your chemical system. Many drugs can be tested by checking a sample of your hair.
It can take a long time for your system to flush it out.

Peer pressure can kill both your health and wallet.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
What about cigar smokers?

Take me, for example. I smoke maybe 10 cigars a year tops, more like 4-5 typically.

I don't inhale, and never have (any tobacco, not just cigars).

Would I be considered a smoker?

Viper GTS

aw

Jul 11, 2000
:) lol...Guess I should have known I would get little sympathy around here. Oh well, it was stupid to smoke anyway, now I have to pay :(

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: MrBond
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Um, what's the point then?
With cigars it's a taste thing.

Exactly. I don't smoke anything other than cigars, and the few times I've accidentally inhaled the smoke I thought I was going to die.

Nasty, nasty stuff.

But it tastes good.

:)

Viper GTS

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
What about cigar smokers?

Take me, for example. I smoke maybe 10 cigars a year tops, more like 4-5 typically.

Would I be considered a smoker?

Viper GTS

IS that not what Billy said 10 years - I did not inhale!!

:eek:

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
http://www.quitsmoking.com/drugtests/tobacco.htm

I don't think nicotine stays in your system for very long and since you are a pretty light smoker you should be ok.

I know many pipe smokers who claim they didn't even cut back on smoking and they came up clean on the whiz quiz, and others who stopped for as long as possible before the test, just to be safe.

Your best bet is probably to not smoke at all from now until the phsyical and then just hope for the best. Realize that claiming you're not a smoker even though you are may be insurance fraud.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
http://www.quitsmoking.com/drugtests/tobacco.htm

I don't think nicotine stays in your system for very long and since you are a pretty light smoker you should be ok.

Checking on some sites, it looks as if standard tests will only report back 2-3 days.

If an insurance company runs, xrays, may may be able to tell differently.

Also, by falsifying the applicaiton, if they ever find out that you did or do smoke, they can either raise your rates, raide and ask for back premiums, cancel policy, or reject claim.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Even if you can fool them, you may then be paying for worthless life insurance -- I'm sure the papers you sign will say they don't have to pay your estate if upon death they find out that you've lied to them.

Either quit and earn the lower premium, smoke up and pay the higher rate, or just start putting the money into a Roth IRA or similar.

If you want the insurance to provide for someone, trying to cheat the system could backfire on you leaving them with less money than if you'd done nothing.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: vash
You're screwed. There is nothing you can do to remove nicotine from your blood or urine. Might as well smoke 'em up! I'm sure you told them you were a non smoker for the life insurance, that certainly won't help your rates.

vash

:confused:

Nicotine gets out of your body pretty quick-1-2 days by most urines tests. However if they are checking to see if you have been smoking are a smoker they do a cotinine test, which supposedly can detect nicotine's byproducts for up to about 3 weeks after the last cigarette.

Aceman

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Get the insurance and stop smoking. Most companies consider you a nonsmoker after 6 months of being smoke free.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aw
I don't consider myself a serious smoker, but I might have one or two a week and if I go out on the weekend mabe 10 total.
If you're smoking, at all, you are a serious smoker. It's a freaking hard addicting narcotic. :|
Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
Ummm.... STOP SMOKING! :)

I'm sixty, so many of my friends, including my LATE friends, became addicted before tobacco industry lied their asses off to Congress, and before their commercials were banned or there were any warnings on the packs. I'm tired of watching my friends die from tobacco related illnesses. I think every tobacco exec for the last fifty years should be tried for crimes against humanity. :| :| :|

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
If you're smoking, at all, you are a serious smoker.

NOT TRUE. Despite what boycott boy may say, it IS possible to smoke socially and not be a "serious" (addicted) smoker. That's just as ridiculous as saying every person who drinks is an alcoholic.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If you smoke, you're a smoker. 10 cigarettes a week definitely places you as a smoker.

You can try beating the test or whatever but if the ins. company finds out that you smoke, you're screwed. Depending on when they find out, you'll either get your policy cancelled or your claim rejected.

Don't chance it, especially with life insurance. If it was term it wouldn't matter nearly as much.

aw

Jul 11, 2000
I do consider myself a casual/social smoker and not addicted. I could probably quit very easily. And I'm not saying I couldn't become hardcore addicted eventually.

About the Ins. fraud. Well I don't feel guilty, its not like I smoke 1-2 packs a day, and I planned on using this as a springboard to quit anyway. But I'm sure the actuary insurance tables don't differentiate between 10 cig/wk or 100 cigs/wk. Common sense says 10 isn't as bad for you, but you have to pay the same premium as the emphysyma hacking marborlo man dying losers. Oh well.

If I do fail the test and quit, can I get my rates lowered after 6 months to a year? Or would I have to cancel this policy and get a new one.

Thanks for all the suggestions!