Question Help with installing Windows 10

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
A friends needs to reinstall Windows 10, he tried to do an upgrade install and it said it couldn’t possibly due to Windows being installed in a non standard location. He didn’t write it down so that’s not exactly what it says. Anywho, I don’t have much Windows 10 experience so I didn’t want to tell him what to do without asking here first.

He says he has 2 options to chose from on the install screen, the 2nd says it will delete all user files. Now I know in older versions of Windows it would create a Windows.old and users.old.

If he does this will it create .old folders for his files? He doesn’t want to lose his data.

And possibly if anyone had a suggestion why the upgrade option won’t work I’m all ears. His Windows does load but its not useable. Like no network and a lot of things are just funky. And I had tried a sfc /scan now and chkdsk without any luck. That’s why I suggested an upgrade install.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Thanks for the reply, never knew that existed, very cool. Not sure if it’s in 8 though. I went and fixed it, the only option was to delete so I made an Flash drive out of his ISO. Very impressive at how quickly Windows 10 installs. Not so much at the 2 hours it took to update from 1511 to the latest build lol. Was getting unable to install errors first so I ended up having to disconnect his 2nd HD. Which is just full of pics and music. I wonder how people without technical knowledge manage. It reminded me of the good ole days when I would have so many issues getting my Win 95 to install.

I will definitely remember your tip, that would have been a life saver for him. Though, he wouldn’t have known how to unhook the other internal hard drive.