help with eyefinity 6 6970

Midnight

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
i have an asus 6970 eyefinity 6 card and im having trouble running 5 displays on it. the card is brand new. so ive never had a working set up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=asus%206970

currently, i have 4x dell U3011s hooked up all through display port. i also have 1x LED LCD TV hooked up with dvi to hdmi.

the dells run 2560 x 1600 and the TV runs 1080p

i think i have a bad displayport on the card but i wanted to ask to be sure.

i cannot get all 4 dells running at once. i can get 3 dells and hdtv but the 4th dell does not work.

the system detects the display and sees that i have 5 displays connected but i cannot get any video output.

whats also weird is that the monitor that wont display is almost like its frozen. i cannot change inputs or do anything.

all 4 of my monitors are good and all out display ports on the card work.

http://usa.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6970_DCII2DI4S2GD5/#overview

there is a section that shows a switch on the card, you cannot run a dual link dvi and all 4x displayports. i tried to toggle the switch just in case a displayport was turned off but thats not the case.

thanks!

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
I wonder if the DisplayPort that's shared with the DVI has a limited resolution. Try lowering the resolution of the monitor connected to that Displayport just as a troubleshooting step.

Midnight

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
you are right its the shared display port that cannot run anything higher than 1920 x 1080

but that doesnt seem correct. the card should be able to drive 4x 2560 x 1600

is this a hardware limitation or am i missing a set up thing?

thanks.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Well you could run three DisplayPorts at 2560x1600, and then flip the switch to turn the shared DVI into dual link and that would get you 4x 2560 displays. Theoretically, and after that the other DVI can drive a 1080p display.

In the end you should probably contact Asus to get clarification. Although I do think it's quite a shame that the information on the maximum output connectivity for each port under certain contexts is not clearly labeled and displayed on their website or product specifications.

Last edited: