Question Help with diagnosing a downloading/wireless problem.

Kerr Avon

Feb 24, 2013
I have a Windows 7 PC that for the past week or two (I rarely use this PC, so I don't know when the problem began) has a problem when downloading. For some reason, no matter what I try to download, the downloading speed is always really slow, usually less than 500kb/s.

To further test this, I tried downloading the files from the following tests sites:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download

https://fastest.fish/test-files

And the PC downloads them very slowly. This happens regardless of what websites I am downloading the files from, even when using torrents. The PC is connected via Wi-fi to the router, but my laptop (also wireless) downloads the same files at full speed (from the same router, of course), so I don't think the problem is router related. I have also booted the PC from a Linux disc, and then downloading the same files from Linux, and they are still downloading at the same slow speed, so I *think* the problem isn't down to the Windows installation, as the Linux disc of course doesn't access any Windows files at all.

There has been no hardware alterations to the PC at all (I only use it to download stuff, and no one else uses it), so does anyone have any advice or suggestions, please?

Thanks for any answers.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The issue is Not Internet and download, the issue is the local Wireless capacity of the the PC.

Info about Internet sites (as in the links above) is not relevant to this situation.

The wireless status of the PC is??? But rthere is info that can Help to help. :eek:

:cool:

Kerr Avon

Feb 24, 2013
It looks like you're both right. I connected up the router to my PC directly using a long enough ether net cable, and the downloads are back up to speed. For now, I will just stick to using the cable.

Thanks for all of the advice, both of you.

Reactions: Tech Junky