Help with determining battery type

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
I need to know what kind of battery I have for my NOCO Genius 5 charger.

2012 Honda CRV with a Exide Global Extreme
2022 Toyota Tacoma (not sure what it is)

Is it:
Wet Cell, Gel Cell, Enhanced Flooded, Maintenance-Free and Calcium batteries

AGM?

Assuming it's not lithium.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
What is the brand and model of the battery, oh wait let me guess...

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Lot of newer cars have AGM, so the Tacoma might have that, your other one is probably a standard wet cell

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Typically it should say somewhere on the battery if it's gel or not. VRLA and AGM are other names they may go by. They are slightly different techs but basically would fall under Gel.

If there are caps on the battery that are easily removed then it's probably a wet cell. If you need more than light force to pry them open then don't try further, as even sealed types may have caps but those are not meant to be opened.

If it is in fact a wet cell then make sure to actually check it once in a while as you may need to add distilled water if you see the water level is low. If cared for, wet cells will last a very long time.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Typically it should say somewhere on the battery if it's gel or not. VRLA and AGM are other names they may go by. They are slightly different techs but basically would fall under Gel.

If there are caps on the battery that are easily removed then it's probably a wet cell. If you need more than light force to pry them open then don't try further, as even sealed types may have caps but those are not meant to be opened.

If it is in fact a wet cell then make sure to actually check it once in a while as you may need to add distilled water if you see the water level is low. If cared for, wet cells will last a very long time.
AFAIK AGM doesn't inherently mean gel. AGM just means absorbed glass mat and most are still lead plates and flooded.