Help with computer build - turns on but no video or "beeps"

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
So I'm building a G3258 system. Had to put it on pause because it wasn't powering up. I figured out that was because I didn't have the 8-pin CPU power installed, and my motherboard only has a 4-pin, but found the 4-pin should work just fine as long as I don't push the CPU too hard.

So I plugged in the 4-pin, and whala, the CPU and video card fan start spinning. And stopping when cool. Then spinning again. Etc.

But back in the day when you would build a system you would hear some "beeps" that would let you know its powering on properly. Didn't hear those.

So all I have installed is the processor, memory, video card, power on button, and power cables. I also plugged the power cable into my monitor with it powered on, but the screen stayed black. I expected to see a bios post or something. Nothing.

Any ideas what I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks mates!

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Thanks LTC8k6. I doubt it is. I'll hook it up when I get home. That might explain the beeps, or might that, or something else not being plugged in, explain the lack of video? All I have plugged in is the CPU, memory, and video card, along with power cables and power on switch. For example, might the computer not post unless I have the system fan turned on (not CPU or GPU fan, but just general system fan)? Or because I do not have a hard drive plugged in? Anything like that?

Thanks!

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Is there a power connector on the video card?

You may just need to wait and see if you hear any beeps to diagnose the problem.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
You can also try booting without the video card to see if the built in Intel video is working.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
does the motherboard have a code readout?

also does it need a bios update to support that particular cpu?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If you are still having problems, giving us the motherboard model would help a good bit. The CPU was launched in Q2 '14, so you would do well to pair it with a 9-series motherboard, unless you have a way to update the BIOS on the board you have.

As mentioned, take out the video card and use the integrated video to connect to your display. Then reset the bios and try powering it on.

And this may sound obvious, but make sure you monitor is set to the video input connection you are using.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Thanks guys! Just got home. So my motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97X-SLI, LGA 1150 socket, Z97 chipset. Looking it up now but I think it should generally work without updating BIOS?

Thanks again!

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Shoot LTC8K6, not seeing any indication on the motherboard or in the manual or the box which of those bios numbers it is. I see in the manual it refers to a SAMPLE bios of F2A when showing pictures of changing settings in the bios. But that is not really helpful as that bios looked VERY early, possibly pre-production, as it wasn't even mentioned on the page you linked I don't believe.

I ordered my motherboard in February (maybe very late January) of this year. Given that the F5 was released middle of last year it SHOULD include F5, but not necessarily I take it?

I'll keep looking.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
make sure the memory stick(s) are/is in the right slot. make sure all your cable are firmly connected. try to boot without the video card. otherwise maybe your PSU just doesnt push enough power with your 4 pins?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Thanks guys. I'll remove one of the two memory sticks, and make sure they are in right slot (how can I tell)? And check the cables. When you say boot without video card, I take it you mean just using the onboard video? Is that enabled by default?

No hard drive yet because I was just trying to get the thing to turn on (success) and post (not there yet). Will follow up.

Thanks everyone!

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
Thanks guys. I'll remove one of the two memory sticks, and make sure they are in right slot (how can I tell)? And check the cables. When you say boot without video card, I take it you mean just using the onboard video? Is that enabled by default?

No hard drive yet because I was just trying to get the thing to turn on (success) and post (not there yet). Will follow up.

Thanks everyone!

please read your user manual, it shows where to put memory and it also tells you how to identify which revision your board is. usually on the lower left side corner. you should see rev 1.0 or 1.1 1.2

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013

Thanks everyone!

Remove the graphics card from the mobo. Connect a hd. Remove one stick of ram. Try to boot. If fail try other stick of ram. Try to boot. That would negate RAM failure (unless both are faulty, not unknown)
Reset cmos if this is not a new board, or do it anyway so we know you are starting from basic settings.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Thanks guys. Will try everything you suggested when I get home.

gammaray - I found the mobo revision (1.0) easy enough. But its the BIOS version that isn't listed anywhere so far as I can tell.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
if the bios version isnt printed or on a sticker on your mobo, then you can only see it in the bios menu im afraid. like other have said, you should plug a hard drive just to make sure the boot up sequence doesnt get stuck there

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Well no sticker for bios on mobo. :(

I took out the video card, and plugged the monitor into the built-in one. Still no signal going to the monitor at all.

I plugged in what looked like an 8 pin (minus one that was null) audio cable, but heard nothing. There is also a 4-pin speaker connection on the mobo, but I can even find that cable on my case. Cheap case no doubt.

Turn it on, cpu fan starts spinning. But no sound, nothing to monitor.

I'm in a bit of a quandary here. I would say it is most likely either the bios issue, or that I am using a 4pin connecter into the 8 pin CPU connector (lots of people seem to say this will work at least if you are not pushing lots of watts overclocking and playing hard and what not).

So if I order a new power supply, and that's not it, I have a wasted power supply.

If I order a new CPU that the F3 bios will support (the earliest bios so far as I can tell from the chart LTC8K6 forwared, but then if its the power supply or something else that is some wasted money on the CPU.

I'm going to try moving memory around and hooking up hard drive, but I am not holding out much hope!

Thanks for any further suggestions guys.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Cancel that fellas! I removed one of the 2 memory sticks and it came right on. I was able to get into BIOS and look at the system settings. It says BIOS is F4. So apparently it won't work with my CPU (which per that chart requires F5). What is the best way to get it updated, given that presumably to download it or whatever I have to get windows up and running, but to do so the CPU has to work lol.

Might it work good enough to install windows and get on the net and download it?

Thanks so much guys!

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
If you have access to another computer, you can put the latest bios on a USB stick and update it from within the BIOS.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Got it LTC8K6! Then what do I do with that USB stick with the BIOS on it? Thanks!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Cancel that fellas! I removed one of the 2 memory sticks and it came right on. I was able to get into BIOS and look at the system settings. It says BIOS is F4. So apparently it won't work with my CPU (which per that chart requires F5). What is the best way to get it updated, given that presumably to download it or whatever I have to get windows up and running, but to do so the CPU has to work lol.

Might it work good enough to install windows and get on the net and download it?

Thanks so much guys!

Just getting it to boot with one stick can be surprisingly helpful sometimes.

:thumbsup:

There would probably be a option to upgrade the BIOS in the BIOS itself, though I do not know that board.

Do not power it off in the process at all costs, or you could brick it.

I've always found flashing a BIOS a bit nerve wracking in the past, I have bricked one once, before I got used to it.

Last edited: