Help with building an upgradeable ultimate gaming computer relatively cheap

munasmom

Nov 30, 2013
Hi

I'm a single mom of a teenager who is really into pc gaming (World of Tanks, League of Legends, Planetside, Arma 2&3) with high graphics. I'd like to get him a new computer but the prices of the "gaming" ones are outrageous. I've been looking at possibly building one (thanks to youtube & google) and could use advise. Please let me know what things I Have to Have now and which I could get away with and upgrade later. Thank you :D

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Gaming
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Less than $1000 (I know there are builds out there for alot less or around $1000, but I have no idea what components I can go down on and which ones I really shouldn't skimp on)

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
US

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
No preferences

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
There are some parts in the existing computer (hard drive,sound card)

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
No plan on overclocking but will be looking into it

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
He uses dual monitors (standard monitor & HDMI cable hookup to TV) right now and runs his games at 1600x900, and 1920x1080 respectively

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Not sure, but any ideas would help narrow this down lol

Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

X. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?

No

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Mfenn maintains [thread=2192841]a standard < $1000 build[/thread] stickied at the top of this forum.

If you really need to save money, start with a smaller SSD, like this Samsung 120GB. If you need to save more, tell us how much and we'll figure out what to cut.

Last edited:

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
2nd'ing Mfenn's build for the ~1k range. :thumbsup:

If you'd like to fit into another budget range (sub-500, sub-750 etc) we can help with that too. What does the current computer system look like?

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
3rding Mfenn's build. :awe:

Let us know some specifics about what you have available for reuse. You can probably save some money that way.