Help with BIOS update procedure

Philfan

Oct 23, 2000
I'm trying to update my Abit BX6-II BIOS. I've tried following the instructions on the Abit website to no avail. The Award flash I'm using is awd783m and I want to use the latest available upgrade (BXRQR.EXE). I'm presuming that the latest upgrade includes all previous upgrades. My current BIOS level is MN. My present cpu is the celeron 400 and I want to install the celeron 633 and eventually overclock. What is the specific procedure I should follow to upgrade my BIOS? Any help provided would be most appreciated!!!

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
The current flash includes all previous flash updates and will completely replace your current BIOS. To install it, all you should need to to is create a clean boot disk (format the disk and choose the 'copy system files' option) with no autoexec.bat or config.sys file. Copy the BIOS upgrade files to the floppy, then boot from the floppy. Run the BIOS update and reboot. Immediately enter the BIOS and select "Load Setup Defaults". Save and Exit the BIOS. Reboot again, and enter the BIOS and change the settings to the way you want them...as long as the BIOS flash doesn't fail for some reason, you'll be good to go.

(P.S. You probably don't have to reboot twice to set the BIOS, but it doesn't hurt to be safe when you could potentially be ruining your Motherboard..)

Tonec

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Create bootable floppy. Restart windows with the floppy in. When prompted type a:
if you need to type a:Dir
you should look for awdflah and xxxx.bin, you can rename xxxx.bin to something easy like new.bin
a:awdflash
then the flash program will start and you type in xxxx.bin
done