Help! with Athlon Classic in Michigan

4nger

Aug 9, 2000
Short story: I have an Athlon 750 (slot A) that has been upgraded to 850 MHz. It is unstable, and usually crashes if I try to play a game. I didn't do the upgrade, and I don't have the equipment to downgrade it back to 750.

I live in Lansing MI, can anyone help me test/modify this CPU. I would be willing to pay a nominal fee for any help.

Thanks,
Ted Forringer

Some details: I was supposed to be building a computer for my little brother (who lives in North Carolina) for Christmas. I bought this CPU as part of a package deal (Athlon 750@850 w/ Abit KA7 motherboard). Almost everything else in the system is new. The system:

Since this was supposed to be a Christmas preasent for my brother, the rest of the system is now down in NC. I kept the CPU because it was the only likly culpret for the computer lock ups. Now, what I really need is a computer to test this cpu in to make sure it is the problem. Then I would like to borrow somones "golden finger device" (is that correct?) to make this thing run slower again. I need stability much more than speed.

I have never over-clocked an athlon classic myself, so I don't really know what I am doing. My personal system is a Duron, and it works GREAT! :D

Alternativly, I would be interested in trading this CPU for a slower Athlon if anyone would like to try to run it like it is with better cooling...