Help with AMD 760G (Radeon 3000)

GUTZnGORE

Oct 12, 2011
Hello, I just got a new PC and would like to be able to play games on it. I would like to be able to run games like Counter-Strike, Battlefield 2&3 aswell as new games coming out preferably with higher end graphics. I was reading that the AMD 760G is compatible with certain Radeon graphics cards, and I was wondering what my best option is. I'll list my specs (in very new to computer tech so bare with me) and please let me know what I can do to bump up my gaming power!
System model: Lenovo H405
Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 255 ~3.1GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Graphics: AMD 760G (ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics)(256 MB primary VRAM)
App. Total Memory: 1403 MB

If I left out any info that would help you please let me know and I'll look it up right away.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
First of all, welcome to the forums, Gutz !! What you have is an integrated video chipset, built into the mainboard of the Lenovo desktop. It is clearly your bottleneck in regards to any modern game you may want to play.

Now, where the problem with an easy upgrade for you lies is finding out the specs of your power supply, which will ultimately determine what card you can put in there AND supply the proper voltage to it as well. Look on the power supply itself for any identifying info, but what we most need you to report is the +12 rating of the power supply.

It should be listed as such [+12] - 24a <- the 24 in front of the 'a' is simply a number, not indicative of what you will see on yours.

Which that info, it will be a lot easier to find you a better card, but not one that won't run at all due to your power supply not supplying enough amperage to power the new card.

GUTZnGORE

Oct 12, 2011
First of all, welcome to the forums, Gutz !! What you have is an integrated video chipset, built into the mainboard of the Lenovo desktop. It is clearly your bottleneck in regards to any modern game you may want to play.

Now, where the problem with an easy upgrade for you lies is finding out the specs of your power supply, which will ultimately determine what card you can put in there AND supply the proper voltage to it as well. Look on the power supply itself for any identifying info, but what we most need you to report is the +12 rating of the power supply.

It should be listed as such [+12] - 24a <- the 24 in front of the 'a' is simply a number, not indicative of what you will see on yours.

Which that info, it will be a lot easier to find you a better card, but not one that won't run at all due to your power supply not supplying enough amperage to power the new card.

Where exactly can I find that info? The only pwer related thing i see is 240V. As for my monitor, Im using my HD TV which is a 55 in LG LCD.
And yes that is basically the exact same computer, except mine isnt the FU its the GU.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Where exactly can I find that info? The only pwer related thing i see is 240V. As for my monitor, Im using my HD TV which is a 55 in LG LCD.
And yes that is basically the exact same computer, except mine isnt the FU its the GU.

It more than probably has a 180W to 250W PSU. The PSU won't really do for a graphics card with a PCIe power connector. However, it'll be fine for one that doesn't have it. You can get decently powerful cards that don't require one nowadays like the Radeon HD 5670 DDR5 and the Radeon HD 6670 DDR5 for cheap. The 5670 is cheaper and the difference in performance isn't significant, and it should be enough for the games you want to play at Medium settings at 1680x1050, except perhaps Battlefield 3 and some newer titles. If you want to be able to play most things in High with AA you'll need something more powerful like a Radeon HD 6850. For that, though, you'll definitely need to upgrade the power supply your PC comes with.

GUTZnGORE

Oct 12, 2011
It more than probably has a 180W to 250W PSU. The PSU won't really do for a graphics card with a PCIe power connector. However, it'll be fine for one that doesn't have it. You can get decently powerful cards that don't require one nowadays like the Radeon HD 5670 DDR5 and the Radeon HD 6670 DDR5 for cheap. The 5670 is cheaper and the difference in performance isn't significant, and it should be enough for the games you want to play at Medium settings at 1680x1050, except perhaps Battlefield 3 and some newer titles. If you want to be able to play most things in High with AA you'll need something more powerful like a Radeon HD 6850. For that, though, you'll definitely need to upgrade the power supply your PC comes with.

This is the exact PC that I have. According to the website, the power supply is 280W. I have no idea what that means, so hopefully you all do!

My PC Specs
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...271&amp;CatId=4928