Question Help with a wireless to wired connection

meckeard

Aug 11, 2020
Hi there. New member here and looking for some advice.

I started a new job and the employer supplied a PC but won't allow a wireless card. Since I am not close to my router, running a cable through half my house isn't an option. I'm looking for a solution that would allow for a cabled connection to this PC. What would be the best approach? I was thinking an extender with a port and then connecting that to the PC but wasn't sure if that would work and if the speed would be adequate. Thoughts?

Thanks!

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited:

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Work? Don't mess around. Buy a long run of Ethernet cable. Monoprice's micro slim run is only $13 for a 50ft run and it's thinner than most USB cables. Me spooling and unspooling it beginning and end of the work day is my 2 minute commute to-from work.

meckeard

Aug 11, 2020
Powerline adapter speed will be affected greatly by noise in electricity wire.

MOCA adapter speed is guaranteed If you have coaxial at router and PC ends.

==

If you only want to convert PC's ethernet into WiFi then use WiFi extender

Thanks. I will consider the extender if I can find one with great reviews.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Those other options aren't bad. A wireless bridge could work or a spare ddwrt router configured as client bridge. You didn't say what type of work you'll be doing, so if it's high bandwidth low latency, then definitely look at a hardwired solution

Reactions: QuietDad

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Hi there. New member here and looking for some advice.

I started a new job and the employer supplied a PC but won't allow a wireless card. Since I am not close to my router, running a cable through half my house isn't an option. I'm looking for a solution that would allow for a cabled connection to this PC. What would be the best approach? I was thinking an extender with a port and then connecting that to the PC but wasn't sure if that would work and if the speed would be adequate. Thoughts?

Thanks!
depending on isp, they may have a moca option available that would get you to hard wired status.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If this is because of "security" requirements of the job (gov't job, HIPPA, etc.), then don't fool around, go with the wired ethernet. Of course, what if you had a wireless ISP? What would they require of you then? (If a wired ISP wasn't available?)

Don't end up as the next "Buttery Mails".

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999