Help w/ PIII 700 Mhz (cb0) and BX2-II

bebop

Jun 15, 2000
I just got this new CPU and can run at 129 Mhz x7 at default voltage for 902 Mhz. My temp. ranges between 110 and 115 usually.

I wanted to try to get 933 Mhz, as I heard many can, and up to 133 Mhz x 7. It starts up fine, but then it just hangs when loading windows (it doesn't freeze, but you just stay at the splash screen and can see the bottom animation scroll). Never gets up.

I'm a total newbie here. What should I try? Should I play around with the voltage? Do I have to get one of those ORB fans? What can I expect with one of those??

Thanks for any help... this is my first time trying to overclock!

damien6

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
What type of heatsink/fan are you presently using and also what about the Rams? (PC-100/PC-133 + what make)

Kishkumen

Oct 11, 1999
Raising the voltage a little bit certainly won't hurt anything and is worth a try. That usually fixes windows not loading when overclocking about 75% of the time for me. I find that if its a memory problem, windows usually crashes and gives some error message to that fact so that is probably not your problem, though it would be helpful to know what mobo and mem you have just to be sure.

Oct 9, 1999
The bottom line is that a lot of the BX6r2 use an older revision of the BX chipset. I've seen a lot of people make the assumption that all BX boards are created equal and they can make those high FSBs that the newer Abit/Asus/MSI BX boards can do. Boards like the Abit BE6-II/BF6, the Asus P3B-F/CUBX, and other newer BX boards come with an updated revision of the BX chipset. This makes it much easier to go above 133MHz. 129MHz to 133MHz (or maybe a little more) are the norm for the Abit BH6, BX6 and BX6r2.

ASK THE COMMUNITY