Help, video card drivers screwing up my comp

Questi4110

Nov 20, 2001
I have a Geforce 2 GTS 32 meg card
I downloaded the Windows XP (my OS) 23.11 det drivers
When i was installing (self installation) (btw they are not digitally signed) the installation froze up so i closed the program
Next thing i know my computer restarts...when windows boots up it says the problem is due to geforce 2 gts drivers
but i check the drivers and they are the same from before
Anyway...i go back and download the drivers right before the 23.11 the 23.10 (not digitally signed)
after doing this my computer is still restarting
right before restarting it has a beep, freezes for about 6-7 seconds, and then restarts
Please help!

THANKS

jfunk

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
You can do the system restore in XP if you didn't disable that feature. This is exactly what its for.

If not, I would remove the drivers and reinstall the originals off the XP disc.

From what I have read, people are saying not to do the autoinstall of the drivers but to do them manually.

I don't have a GF though, so I don't have personal exp with any of this. Just going based on what other have said here in the forums.

j

Questi4110

Nov 20, 2001
Well i did a sytem restore just before i installed the drivers

However, i did get 2 errors that i also got after installing the drivers

The first one was: Your system has just recovered from a serious error
I tell it to send error but it just keeps coming up so i restarted

The second was (Happened after i restarted): RunDLL as an app has .... i forget
SO i restarted again

This could be a virus but everytime i ran norton the video card caused my computer to restart
Anyway i will keep you updated on what is happening

thanks for the input

*UPDATE* - I ran norton and no virus...so far no restarts (this is 2 hours after system restore)

Questi4110

Nov 20, 2001
UPDATE

Computer restarted a couple minutes ago

Yesterday...when it first restarted..i had turned the processor fan the other way around (so it is sucking in air) and the computer had been on for around 12 hours (downloading all day, playing heavy games, extracting huge files, and watching a movie)

Today i turned the fan back over so it is blowing air out...maybe it is blaming the video card drivers but really it could be getting hot?
However, the first error came when it was just on for around 20 minutes, so i dont know

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I went into event viewer and the main errors in applications occur every minute and they are the true vector service (i think it has to do with zone alarm)
In security there is nothing
in system manager there are a lot of errors of service control manager

BTW...i have found that the video card error occurs when the computer is doing something heavy duty (like extracting or playing a game...the first time it happened was when RTCW was changing maps)

Hope someone can help

THANKS

UPDATE: IT just happened again...but this i had shut off automatic restarting and the error popped up on the screen
It said the NV4.dsp.inf or something like that (maybe nv4dsp.inf) got into an infinite loop
It happened when i was burning a cd
Either this thing is timed or just happens when i do something that requires a lot of resources...such as memory (i got 256 ram 1 week ago but no problems until yesterday)

I think i am going to go back to default drivers...is there anyway to completely kill these drivers and then go back to default and then go back to the last digitally signed drivers???

THANKS

Questi4110

Nov 20, 2001
*UPDATE*
After i uninstalled the driver, restarted, and resintalled 23.11 drivers i tried burning again
the same error message popped again the (blue screen)

This is what it says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
the problem seems to be caused by the following file NV4_disp
the Device Drivers got stuck in an infinite loop. Indicates (something...couldn;'t copy down all of it)
Technical Information
***STOP 0x000000EA
NV4_disp
Beggining dump of physical memory
Physcial memory dump complte
(Some other stuff)

Is there anyway that i can fix this problem???
Would uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling the driver that came on the Windows XP Pro cd work??

THANKS
Please help!

UPDATE
I just uninstalled drivers and windows installed the drivers that came with windows
I went to go check the file NV4_disp in C:\WINDOWS\System32
Under Description it says this: NVIDIA Windows 2000 compatible video driver, version 23.11
It seems like this file...which is causing the problem...doesn;t change at all since it is saying version 23.11
i dont understand how to get rid of this file properly so it wont cause anymore problems