Help!!! unable to load windows

lordtyranus

Banned
Aug 23, 2004
Every time I load windows, I get a blue screen error of nfts.sys. It says to restart computer and run chkdsk /f, which I don't know how to do. I have tried resetting the bios, which did not help. I also tried to reinstall XP, but it won't let me, resulting in the same nfts.sys error every single time.

All help is appreciated.

EULA

Aug 13, 2004
use the system repair feature. I've actually had success with it in this case...

what do you mean by "it wont let you reinstall xp"

lordtyranus

Banned
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: EULA
use the system repair feature. I've actually had success with it in this case...

what do you mean by "it wont let you reinstall xp"

What's the system repair feature?

When I enter windows setup, it'll boot from CD then load all the files. After asking me if I want to setup windows or repair an installation, no matter which option I take, I get the nfts error.

OCedHrt

Oct 4, 2002
Do you have your OS drive connected to a raid or ata controller other than the one in the southbridge?

lordtyranus

Banned
Aug 23, 2004
Thanks everyone for your help.

I removed one of my dimms, then was instantly able to reinstall XP. I can usually boot up in safe mode, when I boot up normally it gets stuck on the welcome screen.

Right now I am testing all 3 of my dimms on memtest. So far its been an hour with no failures, which is rather odd.

I am going to try the emergency boot floppy in aurics link now, hope it works.