Question Help tuning 3600mhz DDR4 in Gigabyte X570 boards, I've all but given up getting it to work as rated

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
So long story short, I rebuilt my PC back over the holidays (3800x, AORUS x570 Elite rev1, 3600mhz G.Skill Trident Z Neo CJR dies) and I didn't pay a lot of attention to the memory timings till more recently when I noticed it wasn't running the XMP profile at all and was at 2133mhz in windows. I had just got another 16gb cause I was having memory management issues maxing out my 16gb and BSOD issues as a result, so i decided it was time to get it running in spec after the upgrade. Worth noting, I also have 2 other rigs running this same ram in Gigabyte x570 UD boards, and they are also exhibiting this issue with only 1 kit, so whatever my issue is, it's not isolated to a single kit of memory or a single motherboard, it's happening on 3 rigs, one with a 2600x and one with a 3900x. I am only able to get the memory to 3000mhz with a full custom profile made using the DRAM calculator for Ryzen (latest version), applied via Ryzen Master to save time and so I can save it to my PC. I've spent probably 12 hours in bios tweaking different things and watching videos from linus, GN, jay et all about how to tweak this stuff better and have basically exhausted my possibilities. I'm appealing to you guys to see if we can figure this out, because it's clearly either a config issue on the RAM or a compatibility issue with Gigabyte's X570 bios code as a whole. I've tested with the bios the boards came with (f4-f7) and the most recent F12 bios that's supposed to fix memory compatibility issues with some RAM, but I've had no luck resolving it. I was able with the help of a friend trying and failing for a couple hours on my birthday (the 7th) to get things tuned and with some birthday luck we got a profile that worked at 3600mhz for about a week, but after having some crashing issues in a game and going to reboot after a DDU to install new nvidia drivers my PC went into memory training again and i lost the profile entirely even after trying to just reapply it and let it do it's thing. So i'm appealing to you guys, has anyone else experienced this with these kits of RAM and gigabyte's x570 boards? My friend who helped me tune it has 2 kits of the exact same ram running using the exact same profile in an ASUS X470 board with a 2700x, which is supposed to in theory have worse compatibility with 3600mhz ram speeds, and he hasn't experienced any issues at all. It took him applying the profile once and it booted without memory training with 32gb (4x8gb) in his board. I've included a screenshot of my Ryzen master profile. I'm running a 4.2ghz all core OC on the CPU but that doesn't seem to be a factor as i've disabled it several times while testing to eliminate it as a factor. I can get past POST at 3200mhz but windows will BSOD every time, which is about the best i've gotten aside from that week where it just worked as intended.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Okay somehow it just magically works now on auto with the XMP profile. The only things i did were apply the CAD bus strength and change my RttNom value, and I changed command rate to 2T, and now it works with XMP and everything on auto. I'm pretty sure ultimately the only thing I changed was the command rate from 1T to 2T.

*flips table* apparently bitching about it publicly scared it into working properly because i'm pretty sure I tried this exact config at some point as well, but apparently not? Who knows, ghosts probably. Either way the real ultimate test is if I can get it to work the same on 2 other rigs. I'm gonna go test it on the 3900x right now and see because that's the one with the same version of Ryzen master that gives you that much control (the version for Zen+ CPUs doesn't have the full refined controls), and a saved profile in case I break things. I spent some time hashing out ideas with people on the LTT forum as well as friends and none of those ideas worked but I tried this on a whim thinking WTH its supposed to, why not. Here's to small victories at least?