Help troubleshooting Milkyway@home computation errors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
yea what im asking for help with is how to get the cc_config to work. people keep saying "in your boinc data directory" but apparently that isnt specific enough, since BOINC isn't finding the file in the default location, or if i put the file in the boinc programdata folder (separate from the install folder). how do i know when it's reading properly and where the hell exactly do i put it. i've been asking this same question across 2 forums so far and no one's giving me a direct answer except repeatedly telling me what i already know. ive followed all of the basic instructions and intuition in trying to set it up from the links provided but so far i haven't been able to figure out how to get BOINC to even recognize the file and register to me that it's loaded said config. Yes, my cards are showing up as disabled, yes i know about the monitor trick and right now it doesn't matter anyway because as i already stated, i've spent a lot of time troubleshooting this and i'm not moving forward until someone can help me explain why the config file wont load properly.

now, from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration, im making an XML file with the only contents being

<cc_config>
<log_flags>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
</log_flags>
</cc_config>

this file is going in C:/program files/boinc or equal directory. So far after placing it in the directory this is how far i have gotten, i have not been able to get it to tell me in the log that it's successfully read the config or to get it to use all 3 cards at once with the latest BOINC. i have restarted my computer and restarted BOINC, and whenever im trying to get it to work in 7.0.64 im obviously using a fresh install of BOINC.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
yea what im asking for help with is how to get the cc_config to work. people keep saying "in your boinc data directory" but apparently that isnt specific enough, since BOINC isn't finding the file in the default location, or if i put the file in the boinc programdata folder (separate from the install folder). how do i know when it's reading properly and where the hell exactly do i put it. i've been asking this same question across 2 forums so far and no one's giving me a direct answer except repeatedly telling me what i already know. ive followed all of the basic instructions and intuition in trying to set it up from the links provided but so far i haven't been able to figure out how to get BOINC to even recognize the file and register to me that it's loaded said config. Yes, my cards are showing up as disabled, yes i know about the monitor trick and right now it doesn't matter anyway because as i already stated, i've spent a lot of time troubleshooting this and i'm not moving forward until someone can help me explain why the config file wont load properly.

now, from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration, im making an XML file with the only contents being

<cc_config>
<log_flags>
</log_flags>
</cc_config>

this file is going in C:/program files/boinc or equal directory. So far after placing it in the directory this is how far i have gotten, i have not been able to get it to tell me in the log that it's successfully read the config or to get it to use all 3 cards at once with the latest BOINC. i have restarted my computer and restarted BOINC, and whenever im trying to get it to work in 7.0.64 im obviously using a fresh install of BOINC.
the reason you aren't getting a more specific answer as to where the cc_config.xml file should be placed is because nobody knows exactly where you might have installed your BOINC data directory. that said, the BOINC data directory and the BOINC programdata folder you referred to above are one and the same. when you install BOINC, you are given the option to specify where you would like BOINC's program files to install to, and the same goes for BOINC's data files. if you did not change these locations during install (i.e. left the default locations), then BOINC will install to C:\Program Files\BOINC, and a BOINC data directory will be created at the location C:\ProgramData\BOINC...the latter is where you need to place your cc_config.xml file. also, the <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> statement is an option, not a log flag - your cc_config.xml needs to read like this:

<cc_config>
<options>
</options>
</cc_config>

make those changes and save the .xml file, then place it in the appropriate directory. then start BOINC - if the config file reads correctly, you should see a line of text near the top of the BOINC event log that reads "Config: use all coprocessors." the few lines above that in the BOINC event log should be your list of coprocessors (GPUs).

Last edited:

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
i've been asking this same question across 2 forums
You should have asked here first instead of the other two forums :)

Post #26 here is the first you made clear that you needed the path for the file to go.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
i thought i'd made that clear in post 23 but obviously not :). sunny gave me everything i need for now. I spent all day rebuilding my main rig into a new case though and im passing out at the wheel here trying to continue doing modifications. got my 3 7950s crunching but one of them is showing as disabled for crossfire and i gotta debug that still as well, and then i don't wanna get to settled into this build because while the HAF XM is a nice case, its more suited to the second crunching rig because of its disk capacity and length for cards since its only running air cooling. gonna get the new HAF stacker and move the main rig into it and move the cruncher into the HAF XM i just got to replace my HAF 932 since i needed an 8 slot case to mount the 3rd 7950 (which i didnt realize until going to stick it in LOL, fail on my part). still gotta get this rig set up for litecoin mining as well (crunching rig got configured by a friend today to help out), might be switching entirely to mining on the GPUs when i hit 300 mil, i could honestly really use the money and with my rigs i could pound out a serious number of hashes real fast :)