Help to choose one of these mobo's

TaranScorp

Oct 13, 2009
I am interested in one of these two boards.
ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD5

They both are the same price.
I am mostly interested in which one would be the better overclocker.
I do encoding and photoshop stuff and play no games at all.
I sure do like to tinker with overclocking though :)

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Most likely you'll get similar results with both boards. The CPU will play the largest role in the max overclock senario. You might maybe be able to squeeze a little bit more out by messing around with the BCLK on the boards but it won't be enough to worry about anyways.

For the average Sandy Bridge/tinkerer both boards are overkill.

Any reason why your not looking at the Asus offerings?

Last edited:

TaranScorp

Oct 13, 2009
Well my first build was with a Asrock back when I was using AGP for capturing but that board could not overclock much so I bought a Gigabyte(GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P) on my second build.
So I guess it's just what I'm familiar with.
This will be my third build.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What CPU are you getting and what's the goal for your overclock?

ASRock was a spin off from Asus some time ago to compete in the lower end of the MB market. They have came along way from that point in time and compete in the upper end currently also. I believe they are no longer a sister company of Asus tho.

ASRock, Asus, Gigabyte all make some nice MB's. I haven't played around with a Gigabyte board lately as my last one was a m-atx S775 that did get my e5200 up to 4.2ghz!

Only SB boards I've messed with are the Asus board in my sig and a ASRock P67 Ext4 Gen3. Both boards get my 2700k to the same overclocks/voltages.

My Asus board is in rma process currently. Only issue was it won't stay powered off no matter what I tried. It'll shut down completely but will power back up after about 10 seconds or so.

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Asrock will get my vote this time. But if you are in the US you can get the ASrock Extreme 3 Gen3 on Superbiiz for 117.99 with free ship after the 10% coupon. I recommend that for overclocking because it has more than 4 phases.

TaranScorp

Oct 13, 2009
I rma'd a GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 today and I still have the 2500K that was in it. Since I might get a Z68 board I'm thinking of putting a 2600K in it and play with that.
The two boards I picked out are because of the power phases they have.
V12 + 6 Power Phase and 20 Phase Power.

Crap Daddy

May 6, 2011
Asrock will get my vote this time. But if you are in the US you can get the ASrock Extreme 3 Gen3 on Superbiiz for 117.99 with free ship after the 10% coupon. I recommend that for overclocking because it has more than 4 phases.

I subscribe to this.