Help the uninformed/need a video card suggestion

HereisNoWhy

Nov 13, 2005
I currently have a "work" PC that my friend built for me, but I would like to get into PC gaming to some extent just to take advantage of a few online games and some exclusives. I'm also planning on getting an Xbox360 as soon as more A list games become available and the insanity dies down, so because of that I don't want to look into much more than a video card and maybe an upgrade ot 1GB of RAM if it's absolutely necessary. But here are my craptacular PC specs that I have to work with:

Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 2
Intel Celeron D 533MHZ/2.4GHZ processor
512 MBs of RAM(2x256MB sticks)
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value/5.1 T5400 speakers
350 watt power supply
The following motherboard:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications...tails.asp?EdpNo=1266481&Tab=0&NoMapp=0
LCD monitor with 1024x768 max resolution

Yeah I know that's not exactly a great system to work with, but would it be worth it for me to drop a $100-$200 video card into my PC? And would upping my RAM to 1GB help any? Would I be able to get anywhere with games like WoW, Guild Wars, Farcry, Doom 3, Black and White 2, the new Myst game, and UT2004? If I would be able to run these games at a good frame rate and at medium to high settings, then I would be pretty happy for the most part. So with a max budget of $200, what is the best AGP card that I could get with overall performance in mind(newegg?)? And if my system would cripple a $200ish card, what price point should I look into and what are your suggestions for cards within that range? Thanks!

HereisNoWhy

Nov 13, 2005
hey it's a work PC:|!!!!!!!!

Yeah did I mention that I'm getting an Xbox360 and don't plan on using this as an my primary gaming device due to painfully obvious reasons:D???

aatf510

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2004
I wouldn't waste any money to play games on that PC.
Even if you get a $200 video card (assuming you have a AGP slot, which you might not), you would only be able to play the current games at a ok frame rate with bad visuals and long loading times, and you won't be able to touch on future release games.