Help? Suggestions? Computer parts, videocard etc.

ParanoidCarcass

Sep 15, 2002
Lately my graphics, well my computer has been acting like POOP. Im thinking that perhaps my video card is going off the deep end but im not to sure. My computer isnt the best to begin with.

AMD 900mhz
256 PC133
2-80 gig drives and a 40gig
GeForce4 TI4400

Im getting new motherboard and Memory to begin with, then going to upgrade CPU when get that extra 150-200 dollar.

Im going to go with the KT400 chipset, and some PC3200 DDR.
Maybe eventually get the AMD XP2400+ perhaps even the XP2600+.

Looking at the

Gigabyte GA-7VAX & KingMax 256mb PC3200

If in that machine my Video Card doesnt act like it should, im gonna send it back and have them send me a new one. It should still be under warranty.

Any Suggestions of what i should do?

One more thing, which OS, XP or 2000 ??? i dont like the fact that with XP media player sends a data file of what you watch and when you watch it to Microsoft, and i dont like how 2000 SP3 lets microsoft tunnel into your machine, but of course you dont have to install SP3. Im on 2k now, just thinkin of doing the XP thing all the way. Sounds good??

Jayczar

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2001
Get a KT333 based motherboard since it is proven that
the KT400 is no better or worse for that matter. The
rest of you system looks good but you will have to spring
for the DDR of course. Use Win XP and don't use Windows
Media player, lots of other choices for video viewing.
Always use Nvidia Detonator drivers.

Here is a thorough review on the K400 if you are
interested.

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
man, I'd suggest the nForce if you want high memory bandwidth. The thing is though that the Athlon can't really take advantage of anything over PC2100. I would still suggest the nForce because its feature rich like a mofo. OK salaam.