Help Setting Up a Long Range (~5mi) Network

cgott42

Jan 6, 2002
I would like to network the computers between my house and my parents' house to be able to transfer large files between the 2. The houses are 4mi. apart. It's a suburben areas, and there are lots of trees between the 2 houses.
Is there a solution <$500 ?
And what REAL WORLD transfer speeds could I expect?

thanks, all help is appreciated.

Feb 25, 2011
You can:

1) Set up a no-ip.org account for both machines, tweak some firewall settings, and use an FTP server or something to transfer files, and VNC to desktop share. This is free.

2) Get a program that does specifically this (remote assistance.) Some are free, some aren't. One is built into iCloud if you have a Mac. Some chat programs include screen sharing now too. There's a free one for Windows called TeamViewer.

3) Set up a VPN so it's like they're on your LAN, then use standard Windows File Sharing. There are other advantages to this as well, depending on who has what other network devices that might be shareable (media server, MP3 library, a "nice" printer, or even something geekier like a dedicated network security appliance.) I don't know of a free VPN server, though.

Real world transfer speeds will be limited by the internet connection upload/download. So, if you have 8/1 Down/Up cable and your parents have 1.5/0.5 Down/Up DSL, a file transfer from them to you will run at 0.5Mbps, and file transfers from you to them will be 1Mbps. That's a maximum, of course, but using FTP and remote assistance applications, I usually get speeds similar to when I'm downloading files online. (So, 85-95% of my maximum on average.)

Last edited:

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
At sub $500 with trees, pretty much 0 mbps. You need a clear line of site even with the multithousands of dollars systems. From that you would need to use a very tight Yagi and likely would need it to be laser aligned and the like. There are other kits out there that use high powered radios but you would need to verify it is legal for you to use that power level as it may interfere with neighbors. I am pretty sure you need a FCC license for the high powered stuff.

Last edited:

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
LTE Cell modems?

(I agree; 4 mi, with trees (probably even without trees), $500? No. Sorry. )

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Frankly, the fastest and cheapest way to do this is get a good sized USB drive (or external hard drive), copy the files to the storage device, drive to the other house, plug it in to the computer there, and copy the files to the computer. Other than that, do as dave_the_nerd said and set up your own FTP server or VPN between the two houses, which will work but it will take a long time to move large files if you don't have a fast upload speed on your Internet connection.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
dropbox/skydrive/etc, or hamachi vpn. obviously not going to be as fast as a direct connection, but with a lot of trees, wireless wont cut it. 700mhz and 900mhz wifi will deal with some light foliage, but even if thats all you had in the way itd be over your budget.

you going to copy the data regularly? if theyre up the road itd honestly be easier to just drive over there with a flash drive.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Frankly, the fastest and cheapest way to do this is get a good sized USB drive (or external hard drive), copy the files to the storage device, drive to the other house, plug it in to the computer there, and copy the files to the computer. Other than that, do as dave_the_nerd said and set up your own FTP server or VPN between the two houses, which will work but it will take a long time to move large files if you don't have a fast upload speed on your Internet connection.

*shakes tiny fist*

Feb 25, 2011

Lol, true. I remember reading somewhere that a 3tb hard drive shipped same day FedEx gives a real world throughput rate of 60-some megabytes per second.

All hail sneaker net.

MusicMax

Nov 12, 2012
I would concur with Dave that VPN would be the way to go here. Even if you had to hire a "Nerd" (no pun intended Dave), they should be able to set that up between either two VPN enabled routers or a couple of Linux boxes.

VPN enabled routers are quite common today and personally, I know that Linksys will offer support in helping you get that setup if need be.

Under budget and a good solution.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I would concur with Dave that VPN would be the way to go here. Even if you had to hire a "Nerd" (no pun intended Dave), they should be able to set that up between either two VPN enabled routers or a couple of Linux boxes.

VPN enabled routers are quite common today and personally, I know that Linksys will offer support in helping you get that setup if need be.

Definitely VPN at the very most...or just FTP if the need for private networks aren't needed.

A dedicated point to point would cost thousands and you'd have to solve line of sight / permitting issues with the likely tower you will need at both locations.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

In this case he could use something as simple as Hamachi to install a VPN. Just create an account, install the software on both ends, now you have a secure, encrypted, dedicated tunnel between the two computers. Works fantastically well.
Unfortunately hamachi just announced they are going to a model where you must be logged in for hamachi to work (used to run as a a service) or pay so it will continue to run as a service.

The OP could look at some of the antennas from Ubiquity, which are meant for this very purpose.. with the exception being, they really do require 'line of sight'. If you can prop up the antennas above the tree line, you'll be good to go :)

http://www.ubnt.com/airmax