Help Request: Vista x64 and Oblivion issues

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
Hi folks ... hoping someone here has this running and can point me in the right direction

Just built a new machine (old one died finally), with the following specs:

Shuttle SX38P2-Pro (all x64 drivers loaded from shuttle website)
Q6600 OC'd to 2.8Ghz
8GB RAM
Vista x64 Ultimate (all patches dl'd and applied)
Visiontek Radeon 4850 (drivers came on disk with the card)

The original installer (I have the Game of the Year edition DVD set) works fine. However, the patches from the Oblivion website will not work. When I try to run the patch for both the original Oblivion and the Shivering Isles expansion, the patcher returns an error saying:

"the patch could not be applied because the original file could not be found. A file with the same name does exist" ... or words to that effect. I'm not at home at the moment to get the exact wording.

So I thought I'd try to get around it by copying my old Oblivion folder on to the new machine, since it was all patched and had all my other mods, etc. No dice there, since the game tries to run, I try to start a new game and it promptly locks up and I have to use the Task Manager to kill the process.

I've set the Oblivion game to "run as administrator" and I've set it to run in "xp sp2 compatibility" mode but all to no avail. Also tried turning off UAC completely and that didn't help either :(

Any hints, tips, or glorious answers out there? :)

TIA,
Ronnie

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Hi, a few questions first. Do other games install and run properly? Did you reformat and do a fresh install of windows on this new system? Is there any difference with just 4GB in the system? Might also want to install the 4800 hotfix drivers instead of those on the CD (the Catalyst 8.7's are due this month so be sure to get them when they are released, and make sure you uninstall previous display drivers first before installing new ones).

Dec 11, 2001
Are you using the default installation directory? I think it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda\Oblivion. If you did, then you might have the same problem I had. To fix it, I installed Oblivion into someplace that wasn't in the Program Files directory (i.e., C:\Games\Oblivion).

I don't remember the exact explanation, but Vista64's security measures prevents files in the Program Files directory from being written/modified (or something to that effect). And since Oblivion can't edit its own files (which it does a lot in the background), Oblivion can't run.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: racolvin
Hi folks ... hoping someone here has this running and can point me in the right direction

Q6600 OC'd to 2.8Ghz
8GB RAM

The original installer (I have the Game of the Year edition DVD set) works fine. However, the patches from the Oblivion website will not work. When I try to run the patch for both the original Oblivion and the Shivering Isles expansion, the patcher returns an error saying:

"the patch could not be applied because the original file could not be found. A file with the same name does exist" ... or words to that effect. I'm not at home at the moment to get the exact wording.

So I thought I'd try to get around it by copying my old Oblivion folder on to the new machine, since it was all patched and had all my other mods, etc. No dice there, since the game tries to run, I try to start a new game and it promptly locks up and I have to use the Task Manager to kill the process.

I've set the Oblivion game to "run as administrator" and I've set it to run in "xp sp2 compatibility" mode but all to no avail. Also tried turning off UAC completely and that didn't help either :(

TIA,
Ronnie

I have Vista x64 running fine with Oblivion and both expansions(tried it with both Nvidia and ATI cards),did you try updating DX9.0c(Latest June 2008) link ,btw its for Vista as well some people foget that.

I don't have the Game of the Year version,however check it needs updating patch wise since it might have the latest patches included already,my installation is the default directory it installs too.

Taken from their forums,

Patching

As always, best to do this under a Clean Boot too. And, it does take 20 to 30 minutes to complete. The patching process will appear to hang several times, inlcuding the beginning. If you mess with it, even move the window, it could go non reponsive and you will have to start over. Walk away if you have to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Click Here to Clean Up

Important Note, with the Knights of the Nine Boxed CD, the patch provided is for North America. If you have a localized version, then get the correct patch from link above. With the English versions, it is not always clear which one to get, so try the other one if needed.

If you're using the Direct2Drive version of the game, there is a special digital distribution version of the patch available on their website. (Look for the red text)

Note, it matters not where you get the plugins (DLC's, Retail CD, D2D) you need to patch according to where you got the game from originally.

Common issues are "Old File Not Found" errors. This is because you have the incorrect patch, or are using a no disc crack. If the latter, you have to reisntall the game. Then patch it. to uninstall and reinstall cleanly, follow this:

1. Back up any Saves to another location (see #4).
2. Run the Uninstaller.
3. Find the Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion folder and manually delete it.
4. Find the <<user name>>/My Documents/My Games/Oblivion folder and delete it. Note, this is where your Saves are, so this is your last chance to back up.
5. Empty the Recycle Bin.
6. Do a Clean Boot
7. Install the Game and then Patch it. Use the following order:

Oblivion
Official Mods
Knights of the Nine
Shivering Isles
SI Patch Only

If you do not have SI, then you only need the 1.2 Patch

Note, you only patch once and at the end.

Then:
Community mods and patches.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: ThePoohContinuum
Are you using the default installation directory? I think it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda\Oblivion. If you did, then you might have the same problem I had. To fix it, I installed Oblivion into someplace that wasn't in the Program Files directory (i.e., C:\Games\Oblivion).

I don't remember the exact explanation, but Vista64's security measures prevents files in the Program Files directory from being written/modified (or something to that effect). And since Oblivion can't edit its own files (which it does a lot in the background), Oblivion can't run.

Can anyone back this up on the Program Files folder and Vista64?

It may potentially explain the uselessness of Age of Conan for me.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005

Q6600 OC'd to 2.8Ghz
8GB RAM

TIA,
Ronnie

The Game of the Year edition is up to date with the latest patches. You don't need to patch.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Elcs

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda\Oblivion is the default installation for me in Vista x64,never had any issues with Oblivion or even Morrowind in Vista x64.

FYI its quite normal for games to be installed in Program Files (x86) directory unless its a 64 bit game.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: oddyager
The Game of the Year edition is up to date with the latest patches. You don't need to patch.

Yeah when you fire up the game what does the version number say (lower left I believe). Also No-CD hacks can prevent the patches from getting installed.

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
Thanks for all the replies folks!

Sylvanas: This was a clean install of Vista x64 on a freshly built machine. I'll get those hotfix drivers when i get home tonite, thanx for that link.

ThePoohContinuum: I installed the game on my D: drive (not the default C), so that part shouldn't be an issue.

Oddyager: I didn't realize that the GoTY edtion was prepatched, so that helps a great deal.

I did manage to find a statement on the Oblivion website that user mods were NOT 64 bit compatible, which I fail to understand the reasoning for. That may be my problem. I'm going to try a clean install of the game tonite with just the stuff from the box DVD (no mods) and see if it runs at all. I'll let ya know :)

Thanks again!

R

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Thanks for all the replies folks!

Sylvanas: This was a clean install of Vista x64 on a freshly built machine. I'll get those hotfix drivers when i get home tonite, thanx for that link.

ThePoohContinuum: I installed the game on my D: drive (not the default C:), so that part shouldn't be an issue.

Oddyager: I didn't realize that the GoTY edtion was prepatched, so that helps a great deal.

I did manage to find a statement on the Oblivion website that user mods were NOT 64 bit compatible, which I fail to understand the reasoning for. That may be my problem. I'm going to try a clean install of the game tonite with just the stuff from the box DVD (no mods) and see if it runs at all. I'll let ya know :)

Thanks again!

R

I think it depends on the mods in question,I have loads of house mods and candle brightness mod installed on my Oblivion/Vista x64 ,no issues etc...

Btw I'm using a 4870 with 8.6 hotfix drivers.

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
Mem:

Thanks for that - that's encouraging :) One of my mods is a UI mod which may be causing my worse issues. I'll have to leave that one out when I try my others. I'm going to start with the clean install of the basic game and start adding mods one at a time till it breaks :)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Mem:

Thanks for that - that's encouraging :) One of my mods is a UI mod which may be causing my worse issues. I'll have to leave that one out when I try my others. I'm going to start with the clean install of the basic game and start adding mods one at a time till it breaks :)

I saved my Oblivion save files (from XP)to DVD then transfered them over to my Oblivion game after install of Vista x64,hardest part was remembering what mods I had installed.

ArizonaSteve

Dec 20, 2003
I run Oblivion with all the official plugins (from the KotN CD), Shivering Isles, FCOM, Better Open Cities and Unique Landscapes on Vista X64 without any issues. I have installed to D:\Oblivion, however, to avoid the issues with the default install location.

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
Just thought I'd let everyone know ...

IT WORKS!!

Apparently something in my original Oblivion.ini file was causing the game to barf completely. I wiped the old install, reinstalled the base game and then started adding mods one at a time until the game broke and it never did! But just as soon as I added the old INI file, it barfed like Linda Blair.

So I tossed that, created a new INI file and it ran solid all evening :)

Thanks for the pointers everyone!

R

rangda

Nov 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Elcs

Vista (both 32 and 64 bit) lock down the program files folder(s). Files cannot be edited unless you are an admin user and elevate or are the administrator user. If you have a game (or any other app) you think isn't working because of this trying running it as admin (note that if you aren't an admin level user the app will then run as the administrator user which could have side effects). If it works elevated then this is the most likely reason. You can then either reinstall the game outside of c:\program files or always run the game as admin.

Applications are supposed to put modifiable files in one of the various app data folders, but many (because of lack of knowledge or laziness) do not.